Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic Locomotives

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#93043  by DutchRailnut

No the RS3m is not in servicable condition.
It had been in restoration for several years, but the project stopped when the two mechanics that were working on it got fired or so.
The engine has not been used for atleast 12 years.

#93409  by oddball

damn! i was up there the other day and the engine looked like a museum piece!

#170002  by District D RTC

The RS-3M IS BACK! I shot it today (9/24/2005) OPERATING on the BSRM. Photos to come in a few days once the slides come back!

--JSW

#170012  by Otto Vondrak

The HRRC RS-3m was looking good and sounding sweet. Chased the complete schedule today from the first train to the last. Perfect weather too. I hope to come back to visit the Berkshire Scenic again when the Alco S-1 954 is in service... certainly worth the trip (and we were able to spend a few dollars at the gift shop in Lenox depot). BSR is a very nice operation worth visiting- RS-3m or not.

-otto-

#170659  by viewfinder

What is the difference that makes it an RS3 "m"? thanks.

#170678  by DutchRailnut

The RS3m is any modified unit, but the Housatonic and ex CDOT 605 unit at DRM are both Conrail rebuilts were ALCO diesel was replaced with a EMD 12 cylinder 567 and generator. this is shown by having two stacks and a box ontop of original hood for exses height of diesel.
Both the Housatonic and CDOT 605 are ex DL&W units.

#170697  by steveh

Last edited by steveh on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

#170996  by Otto Vondrak

The nickname for units like these is "DeWitt Geep," but that, in itself, is a misnomer. Many of the rebuilds were done at Juniata Shops in Altoona, and most of the donor EMD prime movers came from retired E-units, not Geeps... The program started with Penn Central... they were looking for a way to extend the life of their fleet of Also RS's, and did a few test units at DeWitt Shop in Syracuse. The program continued with Conrail, through to about 1979 or so. By then, new power was arriving, and Conrail decided the program was not cost effective to continue. Oddly enough, it seems that most of the units I have encountered are ex-DL&W/EL units.

Housatonic 9935 is former Conrail 9935 (rebuilt 1979, sold to HRRC in 1986), ex-EL 1048, exx-DL&W 910 (built April 1951).

It don't sound like an Alco, but that classy engine put on a good show.

-otto-

#171068  by DutchRailnut

The CDOT RS3m #605 at DRM is DL&W 912 and is in working condition.

#171220  by ATK

DutchRailnut wrote:The CDOT RS3m #605 at DRM is DL&W 912 and is in working condition.
Really?!?!? Last I heard that thing had severe oil out the stack problems and the DRM guys basically didn't want to touch her.

#171238  by ELSDP45

Otto Vondrak wrote:Oddly enough, it seems that most of the units I have encountered are ex-DL&W/EL units.
The reason for this is that the Lackawanna's RS-3's were built with 24 brake, one less thing to upgrade during the rebuild. (Erie RS-3's were built with 6 brake, not sure of PRR/NYC). Also, EL did rebuild one unit before being folded into Conrail (on this unit they raised the whole long hood).

#171248  by DutchRailnut

yes 605 has problem with oil out of stack, only reason for that is 605 has been running cold for last 16 years or so due to fact that radiator shutters are disconnected and stuck open.
Fix the thermostatic air damper and engine should be able to run upto operating temperature.
Once that is fixed just work that beast a little hard and oil spitting will stop.

#171259  by Noel Weaver

ELSDP45 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Oddly enough, it seems that most of the units I have encountered are ex-DL&W/EL units.
The reason for this is that the Lackawanna's RS-3's were built with 24 brake, one less thing to upgrade during the rebuild. (Erie RS-3's were built with 6 brake, not sure of PRR/NYC). Also, EL did rebuild one unit before being folded into Conrail (on this unit they raised the whole long hood).
The PRR RS-3's also had 24RL brake equipment. I do not think that was
a requirement for this program.
These particular engines were primarily used in the yard and in short
local freight runs. They were occasionally used in MU operation but that
did not occur too often.
Noel Weaver