Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic Locomotives

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#567835  by MEC407

Many of the basic parts would be compatible, but things like electrical gear and certain engine parts wouldn't be -- the GP35 has a unique (and trouble-prone) electrical system not found in other EMD models. 567 engines can be upgraded in order to be compatible with certain 645 parts, such as power assemblies. Quite a few railroads did this, in order to standardize their parts supplies.
 #567886  by rrfoose

mbta1051dan wrote:
MEC407 wrote:Actually, the majority of GP35s still in existence today have had their turbos removed and replaced with Roots blowers. One of the few railroads with GP35s that hasn't done that is Pan Am. They seem to prefer turbos for whatever reason, even keeping the junky GP35s in favor of the decent-running GP38s.
Sometimes I wonder why Housatonic didn't keep those ex-NS GP38s and repaint them and put them into service. They would be perfect engines for their service, and exactly how compatible are GP38 parts with GP35 parts? The 38 has a 645 prime mover, the 35 a 567. I would have loved to see them high hood geeps rolling through Lenox station!

-Dan
Dan, when did Housatonic use NS GP38s? You said "ex-NS", so were they lease units? I never heard about these units, nor have I seen pictures of them. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Chase
 #567922  by DutchRailnut

The two ex NS GP-38's are still owned by HHRC and stored at Canaan engine house, they need extensive rebuilding from what I understand, I don't think they got plans to do so now.
 #568108  by DutchRailnut

Since video is from 2001 it could be them during delivery , Found it, they got here in 2001 road numbers are 2737 and 2743
 #937944  by Engineer Spike

What happened to the two GP9s? I heard that they got ride of them.
 #938199  by trainguy2024

1802 is now in a B&O paint scheme. It was in RailPace last year.
 #939516  by bk77

Last I read the 1802 was on (and I believe still is) the Durbin and Greenbrier Valley Railroad, who is owned by or somehow affiliated with the West Virginia Central.
 #1063858  by Engineer Spike

Is traffic that depressed, to spare 2 locomotives, or are the GP38s expected to go in service?
 #1063872  by DutchRailnut

the two GP38's have been rotting behind enginehouse, only thing their good for is part supplies.