Railroad Forums 

• Central Mass Wachusett Relocation Tour Nov 3

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1226209  by neman2

Sorry for the late notification,but I just saw this notice while biking the Central Mass Rail Trail today.-

Sunday, November 3rd, 1 P.M.
Moving the Central Mass Railroad
Learn how the Central Mass Railroad was
realigned for the construction of the Wachusett
Reservoir. We will explore the remnants
of the railroad still visible today with
a hike along the North Dike to the Wachusett
Dam. Historic maps and pictures
will be on display. Meet at Gate 39 at the
intersection of West Boylston St. and
South Meadow Rd. in Clinton.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/events ... ll-pdf.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1226438  by trainsinmaine

Just wonderin' . . . Did anyone go to this?

I would love to have the opportunity someday to hike the remnant of the Central Mass. roadbed between the reservoir and the NYNH&H crossover at Berlin. Some of it goes through MDC property, but I've never understood why it's off limits.
 #1226447  by jaymac

I drove by it on 11-03, and there seemed like a dozen or so cars were parked by South Meadow.
Since 9/11, the WMRA has gotten protective, and lots of previously accessible areas are now off limits. You used to be able to walk across the Clinton Dam, but not anymore.
As a general heads-up, poison-ivy vines still carry allergenic resin when the foliage is dormant or even dead, so devote attention to what is about to be stepped in.
 #1232631  by kwf

I wish I had heard about this earlier... I have gone to the dam and hiked up to the bridge's western abutment. Incredible to consider trains going across that area today...