Railroad Forums 

• Everett Tracker

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1218049  by GP40MC1118

CSX B721 goes on duty at 130PM in Framingham. Car counts are way down. The largest inbound
train to Everett I can remember was 6-8 cars.

PAR LA-4 is on duty at 12PM Lawrence, then taxies to Somerville to the power. Currently its GMTX 3004.

D
 #1219351  by BostonUrbEx

Thanks for all the info Trinnau and 1118! I didn't realize that the runs started so late... I thought the produce was brought to Chelsea before the morning rush.

I left work early the other day and caught CSX switching out PFS at about 3pm.
 #1220703  by deathtopumpkins

Just passed by on MBCR 181 and saw a PAR loco and what looked like easily two dozen cars sitting on the runaround tracks parallel to the T before Chelsea. I've only ever seen CSX there with a handful of cars before. Was it maybe headed up the line toward Salem?
 #1307842  by deathtopumpkins

This morning there was a long string of CSX gons on the runaround track by the produce terminal. No power in sight. Never seen that before.
 #1307853  by GP40MC1118

CSX B721 derailed last night at NEP. These cars are are either part of the 29 empties
they brought over in two groups last night or loads going outbound. B721 has had three
units the last two days.

Dave
 #1318511  by deathtopumpkins

Decent string of the typical refers and gondolas has been sitting on the produce market lead (not the runaround track) for a couple days now, and the track from there to the Eastern mainline hasn't been touched since at least the last snowfall.

I know Pan Am has been having a meltdown with the snow, and hasn't been on the Eastern in close to a month now, but has CSX given up as well?
 #1318522  by GP40MC1118

Those cars or car in that string may or may not be rerailed (just before the first
Blizzard). At any rate, I suspect CSX will have to pull that string out of Everett
before bringing anything else in. And that should be interesting since that
string has been snowed in for over two weeks.

D
 #1328624  by rb

Pan Am just came back from Everett with 8 gons, 6 of them teeny old BM gons.

I viewed this at the end of New Rd in Assembly Sq -- kind of a cool photo op with the LA-X consist passing "above" an Orange Line train pulling into Assembly Station.
 #1339350  by GaryAF

LaFarge Cement and Holcim completed their merger on July 10, 2015 ( http://www.lafargeholcim.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

Holcim is at Everett Terminal, and LaFarge is across the Mystic at the west end of the autoport.

I don't think LaFargeHolcim will keep both cement terminals, but which one goes away?

Holcim has rail service, evidently, from the reports of cement cars that go there.
I remember Googling LaFarge a while ago, and the rail connection looked very
unconnected, so I assume they only ship cement out by truck.

BTW: Does cement come into Holcim by rail to augment the occasional barge (and even ship!)
delivery, or is it being shipped out by rail from marine deliveries?

Are we going to lose another rail customer on Boston Harbor?? :(

Gary
 #1339388  by F-line to Dudley via Park

GaryAF wrote:LaFarge Cement and Holcim completed their merger on July 10, 2015 ( http://www.lafargeholcim.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

Holcim is at Everett Terminal, and LaFarge is across the Mystic at the west end of the autoport.

I don't think LaFargeHolcim will keep both cement terminals, but which one goes away?

Holcim has rail service, evidently, from the reports of cement cars that go there.
I remember Googling LaFarge a while ago, and the rail connection looked very
unconnected, so I assume they only ship cement out by truck.

BTW: Does cement come into Holcim by rail to augment the occasional barge (and even ship!)
delivery, or is it being shipped out by rail from marine deliveries?

Are we going to lose another rail customer on Boston Harbor?? :(

Gary
Well...LaFarge is at a Massport facility and Holcim is at a privately-owned terminal so I'm sure that's going to play a role in their site selection. Massport, being a public authority, does exert additional bureaucracy over the land use in its purview that Everett may not. While Everett's owners have not exactly been proactive about stimulating better site use and traffic. So it's not strictly a decision of who's-swallowing-who or 1:1 comparison of the facilities. Who the landlord is--public or private--and what they're cooking with definitely weighs in there as a factor (either way) for which facility ends up the better bet.