Railroad Forums 

• Mount Washington Cog Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1325483  by RRFAN

Does any body know if there is a trail to Jacobs Ladder? I wanted to Catch one of the trains going up there.
 #1325714  by KevinM

There isn't a "trail" per-set, but the ROW is cleared from the base station up to Jacob's Ladder. There used to be a lot of trestle debris along the ROW above Waumbek, but I believe that a lot of that has been removed in the last few years. The climb is about 2000 vertical feet from the base station and about 1.5 miles distance. Unless you are in very good physical shape, I would allow at least a couple of hours to make the climb. I can tell you that descending from Jacob's Ladder to the base at a decent pace is about an hour's hike.

Above Jacob's Ladder, hiking The Cog is more problematic. There's no trail and the ROW is not always cleared. There is a lot of climbing over large rocks and other obstacles. It is not advisable to try that alone.

/Kevin
 #1328107  by RRFAN

Oh ok Thanks last weekend I went up to the cog and I saw some skiers up there. I cant believe there is still snow at the base station.
 #1335561  by cogger1

Mikejf wrote:New Hampshire Public Television's production of Mount Washington Cog Railway: Climbing to the Clouds can be seen here

http://video.nhptv.org/video/2365494940/
Pretty awesome photography. The helicopter shots are incredible. I was amazed to see myself in the cab of the steam engine as the fireman! . He used a tiny, hand held GoPro camera for that footage.
 #1347511  by Mikejf

I spotted that Sunday myself. I wonder if there was a parade of some sort they took it to. The normal location it sat was vacant, though the other displays were still there.

And while thinking of it, I have not seen mention of this. They are constructing a siding at the top of the Mountain, including building a new switch (one of the powered switches), and can only assume this is to add capacity, as well as operational improvements.

They ran Steam at 8:30, 2 Trains at 9:30 & 10:30, 3 trains at 11:30, 2 at 12:30, and 3 again at 1:30. I left after that.
 #1347524  by RRFAN

Mikejf wrote:I spotted that Sunday myself. I wonder if there was a parade of some sort they took it to. The normal location it sat was vacant, though the other displays were still there.

And while thinking of it, I have not seen mention of this. They are constructing a siding at the top of the Mountain, including building a new switch (one of the powered switches), and can only assume this is to add capacity, as well as operational improvements.

They ran Steam at 8:30, 2 Trains at 9:30 & 10:30, 3 trains at 11:30, 2 at 12:30, and 3 again at 1:30. I left after that.
Oh you were there today because I was there.
 #1348718  by boatsmate

Any Idea where it is going to be located?? will it be in or around the New Hampshire Building??
I will be there on Sunday ....