Railroad Forums 

• Does anyone remember Connecticut Central GP9 #53?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1184479  by FLRailFan1

The Connecticut Central was a nice little railroad. On my model railroad, The railroad relaid tracks to Colchester (In Colchester, I build a small industrial park with a few business...including a shed builder, boat builder and toy manufacturer), a junkyard, (to ship out scrap cars) plus a farm supply place in Hebron and a few industries in Portland, including a brownstone quarry, Brownstone Cardboard Box (the old Stone plant), Murphy Road Recyclers and marine products (boat engines). I Middletown, I got a few more businesses (including Pratt Whitney, my dad worked there), and in Cromwell/Rocky Hill/Wethersfield more rail servered business (including an Ames Department Store warehouse), a rail siding with passenger cars at TPC River Highlands (with tiger Woods teeing off) and in Hartfor, a siding into the armory to service a few businesses.)
 #1187587  by JonnyRay

The cccl layout sounds really great. How big is this layout? Can you post any pics? On my layout, cccl 53 will be one of many guests at the mitchellsville works rebuild facility. A place where just about anything can show up.
 #1187793  by Cosmo

Uhhh, guys?
While this is all groovy and stuff, there's a really AWESOME forum for discussing models and posting model pics on this site. Can I politely suggest you continue the model part of the discussion there and stick to discussing the prototype on this thread?
 #1188320  by Cosmo

CannaScrews wrote:Hear! Hear!

Where, where????

Cosmo - tell 'em where to go.
Scroll up, top of page,
"BOARD INDEX"
Scroll down, ( ALL the way down... keep going,.... KEEP going....)
"Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam" (Under "General Railroad Discussion")
...you're on your own from there, BUT, I would suggest: "Latest Project?" and "Show Us Your Model RR Action Photos!"
Both very appropriate and lively threads. :wink:
 #1188822  by Cosmo

JonnyRay wrote:OK I GET THE PICTURE!!! I wish I had your lives where all I had to worry about was a misplaced forum thread on railroad.net.
Hey, I'm not trying to get down on anyone here, I'm just saying. Just so happens those threads could benefit from some new postings.
In other words, I'm not DIScouraging, I'm ENcouraging.
 #1188858  by JonnyRay

Alright, maybe I took it the wrong way. Anyway, all of us agree, Railfans and Modelers that CT was an interesting facet of history, gone but not forgotten. Than you to everyone who shared their insights for my project. In the next few weeks, the model will be made and a little piece of CT central will be preserved.
 #1353475  by Brendan

I was trying to think for the original owners of the Connecticut central after taking over from the Valley RR. I remember Bob Bass, Allen and Russ. I think there were 6 in all, but can't remember. I worked there on track in '97 just before they sold to P&W. Boy, they really made a go of it to the point were in the last days, sometimes there were 30 car trains coming into town.
 #1353597  by shadyjay

Brendan wrote:I was trying to think for the original owners of the Connecticut central after taking over from the Valley RR. I remember Bob Bass, Allen and Russ. I think there were 6 in all, but can't remember. I worked there on track in '97 just before they sold to P&W. Boy, they really made a go of it to the point were in the last days, sometimes there were 30 car trains coming into town.
A couple names from the CCCL article in Railpace, June 98:

Jim Goodwin was pres from 87-93.
In 1990, several investors, led by John Burnham of OSB purchased CCCL from the Valley RR.
1990... GM/later president Russel St. John

Hope that helps, Brendan!

On a side note, anyone know the reason why "CCCL" was chosen as the reporting marks for the railroad? I'm guessing someone at the VRR came up with it.

It's kind of too bad that the VRR "divested" itself of the CCCL... if they had held onto it, I could see them running some trains up that way. Granted, the equipment would be "isolated" but it would give more incentive to fill in the 8-mile gap.