Railroad Forums 

• help IDing trolley picts.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1535092  by udoittwo

Hello,
New here. Just wanted to ask this forum about 1 picture I found in this large lot of pictures from the 50s on back then I saw the subject above. Now I am wondering about some of my Boston area trolley picts. I am not all that knowledgeable on any of this but I spent my summers in the small town of Sayre,Pa. watching trains. My brother is really into trains and I tagged along. I enjoy it but he loved it and worked for 40 years for the Missouri Pacific.
Anyway, rather than toss them, I've been trying to research each pict. and list it on Ebay hoping someone will enjoy them. It's actually very relaxing doing the research but some I don't have a clue about.
If I show some picts. here, would anyone be willing to help me with any information?
Thank you for your time and any help,
Karl.
 #1535107  by nomis

Feel free to attach or link your pictures here, as there are plenty of people looking to use their local and regional knowledge.

Mod Note: Moved to New England Railfan from Metro North forum.
 #1535136  by bellstbarn

Karl,
Please test the response by posting one or two photos. A New Yorker, I love my memories of trips exploring Boston. Some photos will be at easily identified locations and era, others will be more difficult. If you post a dozen, we'll be confused which photo we are identifying. I find that true with my own slides. In scanning them, I can do only eight at a time because I want to add text within each frame. Too often the explanation or notes get lost. Even with family photos, now is the time to identify all people in the photos, because forty years later the assumed knowledge ("That's Aunt Bess!") has gone to the grave.
Joe
 #1535201  by b&m 1566

Whatever you do, please do not throw them away. Every picture has a story to tell and is worth something.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1535205  by bellstbarn

Yes, yes, yes, please do not discard photos of good quality. In the 1940's, Dad could not invest in a new camera, so he purchased used ones. Other railfans used better cameras, and I realized Dad's collection overall did not match up. My rule is, toss crappy photos, photos that are fuzzy, dark, unreadable. Otherwise, save. Someone may spot something important behind the streetcar. Posting a few at a time on this website may bring surprising identifications.
 #1535206  by b&m 1566

You would be surprised what people can do with bad photos. If you can scan the photo into a computer, there's a lot of software tools that can help edit and clean them up, they won't be perfect but does the job, especially with pictures that have just weathered with time.