Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1534081  by J.D. Lang

They've been leasing units since late spring of last year. They only have one or two of their GP-35's running at a time, they seem to be pretty much shot. Their ex BAR GP-9u is also down which was their latest acquisition. You would think that with all of the money they made on line sale to Mass. they could afford to buy some decent power.
 #1534087  by Gilbert B Norman

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:57 am Are you sure it made it as far as Bull's Bridge? :-)
Ladbroke is making wagers😄😄😄
J.D. Lang wrote:You would think that with all of the money they made on line sale to Mass. they could afford to buy some decent power
Nice condos in The Islands and "offshore" bank accounts come first.
 #1534104  by Gilbert B Norman

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:57 am Are you sure it made it as far as Bull's Bridge? :-)
Mr. Moore, you're a "native", and I'm just a Greenwich kid who was "sent up the line to school".

But we should both know the difference between Bull's and Bulls.

"Once upon a time" or back in Revolutionary War days, the Bull family, descendants of Capt. Thomas Bull, "owned it all" including the land now owned by the School.

To X the Housatonic at its closest point to NY, the family built the famous covered bridge, BULL'S Bridge, that remains in use today (albeit with stringent vehicle height and weight restrictions).

For reasons I know not, the highway (if you can call it that) running from the Bridge, over Spooner Hill, by the School, X-ing the ROW and converging with South Kent Road, got named BULLS Bridge Road.

So in short, absent a realignment unknown to either you, me, and any of the "other hands" we have around here from up that way, the noted power could well have died, at Bulls Bridge (Road), but not Bull's Bridge.

I hope you read this "history lesson" in the ssme spirit with which I wrote it.
 #1534111  by Greg Moore

That's all a fair point and honestly, had never paid much attention to.

That said, I think the answer is rather prosaic. The Feds (and more local governments) have had a movement to eliminate apostrophes in place names for decades. I think there's officially at the Fed level like only 3 places that retain theirs.

So I suspect it was some bureaucratic reason at some point in history.
 #1534113  by NaugyRR

That was an interesting history lesson, thanks Gil. I go hiking quite a bit at the trail head by the bridge and was always curious of the name.
 #1534680  by Backshophoss

HRRC has made a fresh batch of "kool aid",thru an outfit called the"Train Campaign" ,that made a bunch of state critters drunk,
trying to get $$$$$ to repair the line.
ConnDOT needs to take control of the line before any money is spent,HRRC will take the money and DO NOTHING!!!!
MassDOT is stretched out cash wise by the Valley Flyer service and the no bid 2nd gen Rotem order for MBTA.
 #1534814  by NaugyRR

There should still be a unit from one of the leasing groups on the property, I just can't remember which (I'm usually only in Canaan once a week for groceries)