Railroad Forums 

• railroad equipment display north of Monon

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#82046  by electromatic1022

Hi I was traveling through Indiana on route 421 north of Monon a few weeks ago, and stumbled across a very impressive display of railroad equipment in the middle of nowhere, including a large big hook wreck crane on display. What impressed me though was a huge collection of railroad signals displayed on the property.
Does anyone what what this is?
Is it a museum or a Private collection?
I saw no signage to indicate what it might be, though there were several cars next to the building on the property.
-Ken (electromatic1022)

#82066  by kr4bd

Are you talking about the HVRM (Hoosier Valley Rail Museum) at North Judson? It's North of Monon and about 5 or 6 miles east of US 421 on Indiana Route 10. They have many signals, rolling stock, engines, and a nice station. They also operate a little over a mile of track during the warmer months. I am sure that during the winter months, activity is at a minimum.

Check this website to see if this looks familiar:

http://hvrm.railfan.net

#82227  by electromatic1022

Hi Tom, No definately not HVRM, Ive been there. It has the appearance of some kind of private collection. The variety of signals on display was very impressive. It can be easily seen from route 421. I went by quickly, and could only slow down and not stop, as I was running late for a funeral, but I did catch a glimpse of several semaphores, a wig wag, several Griswold RS (skirted style) crossing gates, and even a Buda crossing gate, like the kind that used to be at Homan ave. in downtown Hammond.
I was heading south on 421, and it seemed to be about 1 or 2 miles north of the town of Monon. The huge wreck crane is sitting right by the road, it it caught my eye about a half a mile away, so theres no way anyone could miss it.
-Ken

#82264  by kr4bd

Hi Ken:

It's been a couple of years since I was up 421 going North out of Lafayette to the HVRM. I don't remember seeing what you described just north of Monon. Sounds interesting, however. When you said there were lots of signals, a crane, etc., HVRM came immediately to my mind since they have all that, too.
 #133582  by wolfeden

electromatic1022 wrote:Hi I was traveling through Indiana on route 421 north of Monon a few weeks ago, and stumbled across a very impressive display of railroad equipment in the middle of nowhere, including a large big hook wreck crane on display. What impressed me though was a huge collection of railroad signals displayed on the property.
Does anyone what what this is?
Is it a museum or a Private collection?
I saw no signage to indicate what it might be, though there were several cars next to the building on the property.
-Ken (electromatic1022)
I know this post is old ,but here goes. The equipment north of Monon,Ind. is
a private and donated collection of many roads. It is called the Monon Connection Museum.

The museum has been open in 2004 for a short time. The museum is already undergoing expansions to the resturant called the Whistle Stop.
The opening date is still to be determined, but I am guessing it will
be in June of 2005. I have thier website ready and waiting for the go ahead to upload it. I am not sure just how many full time employees
they have, but all of them have been working 6 days a week to get displays ready. What is inside the museum is pretty much all set as of this posting.

I was most impressed with a complete Ill. Central depot form the early 1900's inside the main room of the museum. They are restoring a Wabash
caboose right now, and from what I hear, it will be one of 5 other cabooses being sought for restoration.

The museum manager and I used to work together for many years, I have met the owner of the museum and find him to be an interesting
person. He has the will and drive for many more displays to be preserved.

I hope this info gets back to those of you inquiring, You will love Monon Conection when it opens. Look for them at www.mononconnection.com
this summer.