Railroad Forums 

• IHB Bridge @ Torrance Avenue

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1004863  by BilgeRat

Does anybody know anything about the work going on with the IHB bridge across the Calumet River at Torrance Avenue? There has been ongoing ironworker and electrical crew activity for a couple of months now, and I saw them raise and lower the lift span a couple of times this morning. This bridge has seen little to no traffic (as far as me and my co workers know) in years and we were wondering if it is being put back in service.
Tom
 #1005279  by PRRGuy

That's the former C&WI "Mainline" Bridge that Erie and Monon trains would have used to get to Dearborn St Station. The Torrance Ave bridge is being rebuilt so the C&WI bridge was paved over and put into operation for Ford traffic and Emergency Vehicles only.

Ryan
 #1005288  by Tadman

There's no tracks south of the bridge that I'm aware of to send traffic to - they'd have to re-lay them.
 #1005373  by BilgeRat

Thanks guys. We've been watching the work from the water, and have no access to land to check out the "lay of the land", and figured that either it was being put into service or prep was being made to remove it. Thanks for the replies!
Tom