Railroad Forums 

• Toledo, OH

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#4504  by WNYRailfan

Can someone tell me what railroad lines reach Toledo, OH?
Please mention the current names and then what they were known as in the past. For example CSX (aka LS&MS) and NS (aka NKP).
It may be easiest to start from the south east (Maumee) and then go clockwise (e. g. SE, NE, NW, SW).

By the way, I looked at the historic USGS map and got confused by the old railroad names.

Thanks.

WNYRailfan

#4948  by nkpcab77

(1-3)From Maumee Wabash to Fort Wayne and another line to Chicago also NKP to St Louis All Three NS and all Three abandoned within 10 miles of Maumee.
4)next line NYC main NY to Chi now NS
5)next Toledo Angola and Western short line to a quarry now abnadoned
6)NYC Old Road to Adrian MI and beyond. Now NS abn. at Sylvania
7)next DTI to Petesburg JCT MI abn except a small portion in North Toledo.
8)next old Pere Marquette to Plymouth MI now CSX (the PRR had rights on this to Carelton MI)
9) then the Ann Arbor to Ann Arbor MI name hasen't changed
10-11) MC and LSMS used as double track to Detroit by NYC now NS
12) Detroit Toledo Shore Line to Detroit now CN
13) Wheeling and Lake Erie to Bellevue OH now NS with the New Wheeling with trackage rights
14) the NYC main same as #4
15) PRR to Tiffin and Toledo JCT now CSX to Woodville, Northern Ohio and Western to Tiffin adn beyond that.
16) C&O to Columbus now CSX
17) NYC to Charleston WV now CSX abn south of Stanley Yd
18) NYC to Columbus now CSX
19) B&O to Cincinnatti now CSX
20) Toledo Terminal belt around city now CSX,AA and NS some portions abn.
 #5439  by WNYRailfan

Thanks for the list. Which direction (clockwide?) are you traveling when you are referring to the numbers?

Another question: Who owns the Central Union Terminal in Toledo? Its looks like it is in good shape. And it is still used buy Amtrack...a major plus for a building that is only 53 years old. (It won't be 54 until 9/17/2004).

WNYRailfan
 #5511  by railohio

WNYRailfan wrote:Another question: Who owns the Central Union Terminal in Toledo? Its looks like it is in good shape. And it is still used buy Amtrack...a major plus for a building that is only 53 years old. (It won't be 54 until 9/17/2004).

WNYRailfan
The Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority, and I belive the official name for the structure is now the "Martin Luther King Junior Plaza."

#5752  by nkpcab77

the direction I took when listing the railroads is clockwise. If due north was 12. Maumee would be at about 8.

#7352  by MR77100

I asked this question before the forum crashed, so just bear with me. What hot spots are there in Toledo? I know all about Vickers, but are there any more? What about areas with vintage signals?

#7439  by matt

There is a semaphore that can be seen from Matzinger Road in north toledo, on the CSX Toledo Terminal. Find this road on http://www.mapquest.com and you can get directions from wherever you are coming. Very busy line.

There are many places to see the NS Chicago Line downtown. Several walking and old railroad bridges cross the main near and to the west of the Amtrak depot. Go down there and you'll see what's to choose from.