Railroad Forums 

• Stone arch viaduct in/near Dodge County, WI?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#806161  by JettaKnight

A few years ago, I was driving the back roads from Milwaukee to Wisconsin Dells, and somewhere along the route (my best guess is northwest of Watertown), I came across a stone arch railroad viaduct. I would like to revisit the site to take some pictures, but have been unable to locate it again.

My sense of direction says that the tracks were oriented SE to NW, meaning that it could have been either the CP or UP lines running through the area. I have tried to retrace my route, but WI highway 16 was under construction and I had ventured off of the marked detour.

My memory of the orientation of the roads generally matches the spot where the UP crosses County W at Hogsback road, but this is a grade crossing. A similar viaduct is further east at the Funk Road crossing near North Lake, but this isn't the one I'm talking about.

The memory of my exact route is pretty vague, so although I'm focused on Dodge County, the adjacent areas are possible as well. I mention the CP and UP, but it could also have been on some abandoned line or branch that isn't on current maps. Any help in relocating this site would be appreciated!