Railroad Forums 

• Defiance Depot

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#58138  by WNYRailfan

I was in Defiance over the weekend looking at the various depots (Wabash and B&O). I found it ironic that they removed the B&O/Wabash diamond and placed it on top of the Wabash tracks. Kind of an odd sight.

Is there any truth to the rumor that CSX wants to demolish the ex.B&O depot on Clinton St. in Defiance?

I really like the look of the building. I have seen only a few B&O depots with arched windows. I was saddened to see that someone has decided to throw stones at the structure and shatter some of the windows. I think the station should be saved. I also think that with a little work initially (e.g. plywood on the windows to prevent more damage), the structure can be restored. It looked like there was a chandelier inside, or maybe just the remains of one.

Who owns the building? If I had to guess I would say CSX due to the faded CSX Detroit Division sign on the lawn.

Anyone know the history of the building? Date built? Date passenger service ended? Date abandoned?

Lastly, I have posted pictures on my webpage:

http://photos.yahoo.com/BugBoy1998_1999

#58322  by chessie8212

While I can't answer your questions, I can say that if anyone would be interested in a possible move to save it, I'd be interested in becoming involved. I will do a little research and see what I can come up with for those questions, but if anyone else know (and I'm sure they do) step right up!

#59014  by WNYRailfan

I talked to Mark Camp, one of the founding members of the Railroad Station Historical Society, Inc. and he said "There have been rumors about the demolishion of that depot for awhile now. The building has been vacant for quite sometime now and it seems like the City of Defiance doesn't care much about the building. Yeah there are a few people in Defiance that mentioned that they want to save the building, but it may not be enough. It wouldn't surprise me if the depot gets demolished soon."

Is there anyone else that would like to see the depot saved (besides myself and Chessie)?

#59077  by Drawhead

From what your photo's look like, it looks like a well built structure of brick that with some window repair would probably be a nice building. How is the roof? Saving a depot is no easy task to say the least. Once the railroads quit using them and let them further deteriorate it seems the vandals take over the situation and make things worse. By then the cities then seem to see them as an eyesore and press the RR's to either fix them up or tear them down wich doesn't help matters any. Or you can have the scenario of a perfectly decent depot that has stood for over 100 years and has been utilized as a business ect. like the Norwalk Ohio LS&MS depot only to be razed to make way for a Top's grocery store, where the city didn't even seem to care in having it preserved. The store there is now built and what ocupies the former depot site now! The far corner of the parking lot! Does anything ever make sense in today's society? The best thing to do if you want it to be saved is to get as many people in Defiance as you can to get interested in preserving it. Being that if CSX still owns it and the adjoining property, that may be another headache as they probably want it removed for good unless they would be nice and sell the property to the city. Or they might not want to sell the property at all. Being a brick and stone structure it would be very expensive and almost impossible to move. If it was a wood structure it would be much easier. Here's a little lesson on moving a depot. Back in the fall of 1998 I was fortunate enough to buy the old Crawford County, Ohio AC&Y depot from the W&LE after waiting over 2 years after first offering to buy it. In the meantime 2 years of roof leaks and years of neglect practically ruins the whole roof and alot of other wood. By then the city starts complaining and tells the RR to either fix it up or tear it down. The RR then contacts me and wants to know if I still want it. I having a soft heart for old depots say's yes and buy's it for $300.00 a real bargain for a old rotted building huh? I then had to get contractors demolition insurance to tear it down as it was right next to the tracks, that cost me $275.00, I then had 1 and 1/2 months to remove it from the RR property. I am an engineer for NS and in between running trains and driving 45 mins. each way to New Washington to dismantle it I finished the job 3 days early. Now the fun part, that following spring I then started on rebuilding the depot behind where I live. The building is up, $10,000.00 and almost 6 years later with countless hours wich I do keep track of but really don't want to add them up as that is all I do in my spare time! Am I glad I did it? In a way, as it is now rebuilt better than it ever was before, it is a major job doing something of this nature and this depot was only 16 ft by 50 ft. a reletivily small one. It is such a shame so many depots have fallen that were in much better shape over the years. I wish you the best of luck and don't give up!

#59328  by dti407

I would like to see the depot be saved. When I go by it once in a while, I usually see a CSX truck parked there.

#111904  by WNYRailfan

I don't have any updates for this post, but I was wondering if anyone else knew anything more about the B&O depot in Defiance.

#138807  by WNYRailfan

As most of you know...a few weeks ago vandals torched this passenger depot. I was in Defiance yesterday and took some slides of the depot in its current state for historical reference. The brick is fine, but the roof is damaged severely. I have no idea what was in the building at the time, but none of it is left after the fire. There is a $5000 reward leading to the arrest of the arsonists. Sad to say the future of this building is now greatly in jeopardy!! :o(.