Railroad Forums 

• Grain trains on the Mendota Sub

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#64664  by bn13814

I don't know about Mendota and Galva but the new one at Toluca is loading a 110-car train every five days. Mendota and Galva facilities may be the same. As for symbols - check the link below:

http://www.bnsf.com/business/agcom/elev ... uttle.html

#90776  by Rockingham Racer

Still looking for details on the Mendota and Galva trains.
Any new? Frequency? Symbols?

#91022  by AmtrakFan

Could those be the CSX trains on the BN? That run on Weekends?

John

#91357  by Rockingham Racer

Not sure. I think I remember seeing CSX engines on the Mendota prior to my moving out of the area. (July 2003). Want to know what's going on with the grain trains I read about.

#91431  by AmtrakFan

If it is the CSX it only runs on Saturdays that I know of.

John

#92850  by bn13814

Grain trains coming out of the elevator at Mendota are going to southwestern points, mainly Texas feedlots. Some may be going to the Gulf for export.

There are probably multiple destinations and thus, multiple train symbols.

DPJ

#92929  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks for the info. It's the symbols I'm interested in, cuz I'm doing a simulation.

#111841  by Railjumper

The loaded Galva trains are G-GLVHER (Galva-Hereford TX).

The loaded Mendota (actually Greenwood, IL) trains are G-GNWLRX (LRX-somewhere in TX) and G-GNWEAP (Greenwood-Eagle Pass TX).

#112831  by Railjumper

Also Galva: G-GLVSMR

#113390  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks, Railjumper. That's just what I'm looking for!
Any idea how often these puppies run?

As for the LRX symbol, I have a feeling it's Laredo, TX, and the grain is probably headed for Mexico.

And Greenwood, IL? According to Mapquest, that's up in the northwestern part of the state, way off the main line.

#113659  by MikeF

Railjumper wrote:I have no idea why they call the Mendota facility "Greenwood".
This topic was discussed a few weeks ago on the IlliniRail e-mail list. David Ingles explained that Greenwood was named "for Bill Greenwood, a retired BN [transportation officer] who hails from Mendota and was a key figure in setting up the Union Station museum there and in moving the CB&Q 2-8-2 from its former display site in Ottawa to Mendota."

#113698  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks, Mike, for the clarification. Do you know where Greenwood is located in Mendota: east or west, track one or track two side. Or could you give me the link for the discussion group? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks!!

#113750  by MikeF

Sorry, I don't know where in Mendota the Greenwood facility is.

IlliniRail is located at groups.yahoo.com/group/illinirail.