Railroad Forums 

• Railroads of Southern & SW Wisconsin

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#739633  by scoostraw

I just read Daniel Lanz's excellent book "Railroads of Southern & Southwestern Wisconsin - Development to Decline". The book was written in 1985 however, and many of the lines that were still in active service at that time have since been abandoned.

Does anyone know another publication which can bring me up to date regarding these lines in southern Wisconsin and what happened to them?

Thanks.

-- Ken
 #805661  by GWoodle

Not sure of any new books. Some of the WICT lines are now run by Wisconsin Southern. The lines may be too small to be in a Midwest Regional book.
 #852802  by PZ 1

scoostraw wrote:I just read Daniel Lanz's excellent book "Railroads of Southern & Southwestern Wisconsin - Development to Decline". The book was written in 1985 however, and many of the lines that were still in active service at that time have since been abandoned.

Does anyone know another publication which can bring me up to date regarding these lines in southern Wisconsin and what happened to them?

Thanks.

-- Ken
Ken, can you give a little reveiw of the book and the exact area it covers? I would be interested in purchasing it if it covers what I am interested in.
 #1021511  by scoostraw

PZ 1 wrote:
scoostraw wrote:I just read Daniel Lanz's excellent book "Railroads of Southern & Southwestern Wisconsin - Development to Decline". The book was written in 1985 however, and many of the lines that were still in active service at that time have since been abandoned.

Thanks.

-- Ken
Ken, can you give a little reveiw of the book and the exact area it covers? I would be interested in purchasing it if it covers what I am interested in.
It covers the southern part of the state. Mostly the SW portion, which is where the bulk of my interest lies. It was written in 1985, so it only goes that far..
 #1021512  by scoostraw

Scoring Guy wrote:Try This
http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm ... SHOW=69962
Interesting. Thanks.

My original post was in regard to what happened to justify the abandonment of some of the lines that were still in operation when the book was written, and had a cautiously optimistic future. I since got most of my answers.