Railroad Forums 

• Any updates on the North Baltimore intermodal yard??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#713062  by videobruce

Has anything been started yet on this new intermodal yard south of Toledo? I haven't seen any threads on this $60-80 million project.
Last edited by videobruce on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #713286  by videobruce

When was the work started? Are there any pictures of the progress and does anyone have any track plans??
I'm surprised no one started a thread on this.
 #714511  by tree68

videobruce wrote:When was the work started? Are there any pictures of the progress and does anyone have any track plans??
It was well underway in late July, including signal work. There is a large berm along Route 18 which blocks most views of the entire site. What I could see through cuts in the berm wouldn't show much - mostly bare earth being graded, with the occasional view of some assembled track laying alongside the current main.
 #715331  by Northwest727

An aviation student of Bowling Green, our practice area is around that of North Baltimore. Last time I flew over it, about a month or so ago, it looked like it was graded, but track not "layed" yet. If I can, I will try to get an aerial photo or two the next time I am up flying.
 #715986  by nycrick

Go to toledoblade.com and search for "north baltimore intermodal". There'll be at 2 articles about it (no pictures though). There'll also be at least 1 article about NS's plans to expand their intermodal in Airline next year. This will probably cause the closeur of Westwood Ave.!
 #721685  by tree68

Just for reference, for those trying to get oriented to the picture (and maybe find it on Google Maps or Bing) - the aerial view is facing south-southwest. Hoytville can be seen on the right edge of the picture.

The new facility is bordered by the CSX line on the north, and Ohio 18 on the south.
 #762636  by JPMiklovic

Hello, I have started a FREE hyper-local news website in North Baltimore, Ohio. The NBXpress. www.nbnewsxpress.com. We cover our town of 3,300, that is getting the NEW CSX Intermodal Railyard west of town. I have some relatively recent photos posted. I am going to be getting some more this week and as time goes on...
 #763912  by MSchwiebert

Work has slowed down for the winter (not surprisingly) all the new interlockings have been active for several months now. the leads are almost complete (only about 100' of trackage near the Range Line road grade crossing remained to be completed on my last visit down there during the holidays) "interior" track laying was well under way in the fall, and the associated buildings on the site were under construction then too. I've been photographing progress as I can, hopefully this link will get you to the album containing the photos. http://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnai ... album=1273. Expect all sorts of operational changes and new markets to open up once the facility is up and running.
 #769473  by JPMiklovic

A quick update on the CSX Intermodal west of North Baltimore, Ohio. The project is still on schedule for completion in early 2011. About 8 miles of the 26 miles of track have been laid within the yard. Over 19,000 feet of chainlink fence has been strung, the total is over 40,000 linear feet. Most of the heavy digging is completed and the crane rail foundation is complete.

There is talk of cost overruns on land aquisition, which may slow down the Liberty High Road Overpass portion of the project. We in the area are anxiously awaiting the State of Ohio's plan for connecting the intermodal yard to I-75. Right now there are 3 ninety degree turns and a 4-way stop in the middle of downtown NB for the truckers to negociate. This sucks for the residents and the drivers.

Things are pretty slow out there right now, so we are looking forward to spring to see some serious action pick back up.

Also, an apology for the spam I threw out on my first post. I am sort of new to this whole thing. I'll try to be a productive member of the community, without self-promotion!
 #790843  by MSchwiebert

There is some preliminary funding for improved access to I-75 for the National Gateway site approved in the ODOT TRAC listing http://www.dot.state.oh.us/trac/Documen ... nature.pdf
2 million $ is probably enough to do do study work and land acquisition. In any event, with the return of spring, work has resumed at the site. Track laying inside the grounds continues and construction of the administration/support structures is well under way.