Railroad Forums 

• Montrose MO

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#620727  by simplykristi

Hi All,
I have some friends who recently moved to that area. While my friends were building their home down there, I noticed the railroad track. I wasn't sure if the track were still in use or not. One day we were down looking at the house in the midst of construction. I heard the distant train whistle. I was like WOW. A coal train came thru. I know that the train comes in once a day at most. I took some pix of one of the trains as it came thru. I was looking thru my pix recently and noticed that some of the railcars said KXPL. I found out that it was the abbreviation for KCP&L. I know the train comes and goes form the KCP&L's Montrose Generating Plant near La Due MO, which is several miles to the NE of Montrose. The point of my post... Where does the train go once it leaves the Montrose Generating Plant? Does it head back to Wyoming where the coal comes from? I know that UP engines pull them. I would like to learn as much about the train as I can. I will be spending quite a bit of time down there and plan to photograph the trains (from a safe distance) when I can.

Thanks,
Kristi
 #621581  by simplykristi

Thanks for the info! However, looking at my photo, it appears that it is a UP engine that was pulling the train. The train was headed to the Montrose Generating Plant.

Kristi