Railroad Forums 

• Toledo Jct. and Mansfield

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#50190  by Beech Cricker

John,

More good info, thanks. After further study I concluded that the EL main crossed the PRR just north of the Diamond Street building, on a curve, as you indicate. But I'm still confused as to how the Ashland accesses the ex-EL main on the east (north) side of the ex-PRR. It seems you indicate that they use the ex-B&O line to accomplish this--did they build a connector between the ex-B&O and ex-EL main east somewhere in the Route 309 area perhaps?

Was that little switcher I saw (#66, if I recall) an Ashland unit?

Jeff

#50285  by MR77100

The Ashland Railway gains access to the EL by means of connecting track that branches off the B&O right next to the PRR/B&O diamond. The track runs along the PRR main for about 100 yards before making a very sarp turn around a factory and joining the EL. I videotaped a train doing this in 1998.

#50328  by Beech Cricker

MR77100 wrote:The Ashland Railway gains access to the EL by means of connecting track that branches off the B&O right next to the PRR/B&O diamond. The track runs along the PRR main for about 100 yards before making a very sarp turn around a factory and joining the EL. I videotaped a train doing this in 1998.
MR, ah, ha! That answers the question. I also checked the topo map and aerial photos at the Terraserver site. I now have my bearings, thanks.

Jeff

#52485  by Lew

Stack Tower at New Washington was a two story wooden structure with an interior stairway. I understand that the PRR would call an extra operator in the last days when they would want to make a move across the diamond, or so I was told.
 #153041  by pinecreekrr

Interested in the AC&Y and have been to the site of PRR's "Stack" tower at New Washington on the present day W&LE.

I'm curious what kept the Pennsy's line going to Tiro after cuting the line short of Mansfield. As I recall, the line was still the Tiro Industrial track under the PC.

Beech Cricker : What did you find to suggest industry at Tiro, OH ?

Thanks , Bruce
 #153058  by chessie8212

pinecreekrr wrote: As I recall, the line was still the Tiro Industrial track under the PC.
You are indeed correct pinecreekrr. As of 1968, the PC called the line Tiro Industrial Track. That's according to my Lake Region ETT #1. The End of Track was located at MP 17.0 (17 miles from Mansfield or 0.8 miles on the north side of Tiro). No sidings listed here, so I would think whatever was in Tiro was a fairly small industry. Also, with almost a mile between Tiro and the End of Track, I would think that the industry was slighty north of Tiro itself. Also, the two grade crossings in Tiro, as listed, are Main St. and S.R. 98. This last crossing is designated as being "Industry spur" on the charts. Perhaps a grain elevator or other small industry north of State Route 98??

I've attached a photo of the old ROW north of SR 98, which is shown in red on the pic. Could this be the industry? The ETT doesn't list any more grade crossings after SR 98, so it couldn't have gone much further than this.

Lew wrote: I understand that the PRR would call an extra operator in the last days when they would want to make a move across the diamond, or so I was told.
Also, according to the ETT, Stack Tower was "In service only when opened by train order."

#153695  by zwsplac

So is Stack Tower still standing then? I looked on Terraserver, but I can't really tell. THere is some sort of structure on the old ACY east of the old x-ing, but it might be a station.
 #153908  by pinecreekrr

chessie8212 : Thanks for the satellite view of the end of Tiro Industrial Track. I'm guessing that there may have been a Conrail ZTS map that would identify the remaining industry in the Tiro area.

zwsplac : No, Stack Tower on the PRR at New Washington is no longer in place and was probably removed with the removal of the track there. I understand that the AC&Y station on the north side of the track has been moved and preserved. W&LE still runs trains to Carey on the former
AC&Y. Here's a photo looking west along the W&LE in 1999 before the
AC&Y station was moved.

http://www.acyhs.org/gallery/photos/Newwash.jpg

Bruce
 #155239  by Beech Cricker

Bruce is correct in that STACK tower is no longer with us. Only the concrete foundation remains.

Bruce, nice shot of the AC&Y's New Washington station. Do you know where it was moved to?

I believe the "industry" in Tiro was a small agricultural customer.

#156107  by pinecreekrr

Beach Cricker : An article on AC&Y depots in The AC&Y H.S. News Vol.VII No. 3 (Fall 2000) indicated only that the New Washington depot was disassembled and moved to another location. There is promised an update on the reconstruction, but I was unable to find it in my collection.

Similar design AC&Y stations are found in a city park in New London, OH and also at Copley, OH. with an original AC&Y international caboose from the late 40's.

Bruce

#160983  by ELBrad

This is the track set-up in Mansfield circa 1960 or so.

This is the Mansfield set up today.

#164978  by Beech Cricker

ELBrad,

Excellent work with the marked up topos--these help a lot!

Jeff