Railroad Forums 

• What's Danville like these days?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#548706  by IC8010

Am planning to hook up with a friend from Maryland next month (who's flying in for a meeting in Champaign-Urbana) for a half-day of shooting. Been thinking about Danville as a best-bang-for-the-buck location in the area, but haven't been there in a long time. Most online info I've found is old, too. Anyone with current experiences/info? Thanks.
 #552297  by NS145

Danville is a very busy place and if you monitor AAR channels 84, 94, 12 (CSX), and 22 and 76 (NS) you shouldn't have much trouble finding trains. The busiest location is at "Danville" proper where the CSX and NS cross at grade just SW of the intersection of Voorhees Street and Bowman Ave. All NS trains have to contact the Tilton yardmaster and the CSX dispatcher to get thru town. There is also an interchange yard located just north of the diamonds known as North Yard. All this is easily accesible. Other highlights include CSX's Brewer Yard on the SE side of town and NS' Tilton Yard on the SW side of town. You can get between both yards using I-74. You should also monitor AAR channel 7 for any KB&S activity. They have a small interchange yard at Newell east of Danville just north of where the NS bridges the old ex-MILW mainline.

BTW, my avatar is a photo of NS #255 at Danville. Check out Danville on RailPictures.net for ideas on photo locations.
 #581326  by IC8010

Belated thanks for the information. We did indeed have a good day; we ended up so busy at Brewer and points north that we never got to Tilton. Thanks especially for the info on Newell; the map we had ran out at the state line. We found the county road crossing at the far south end of Brewer (by an abandoned grain elevator) to be a good spot for trains coming south out of the yard. New (since I was there) overpass over CSX between there and I-74 in the industrial park area was good either way.
 #587798  by NS145

Danville can be a very busy place. There is also a nice bridge over the NS mainline at the east end of the yard at Tilton that also works nicely for shots in both directions.