Railroad Forums 

• Carferrys in Toledo?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#546395  by ToledoTerminalRy

I ran across this site and was wondering around. Well the point is I found this http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=US|t ... d%20States I looked around and find no way for carferries to board and de-board. Does anyone know what there doing here? Also where they are anchored to looks like some kind of stone/ballast port. I never knew that existed here in Toledo either. BTW this site has old photographs (ex. I-280 bridge isnt close to completion which would date this section of photos over a year (maybe a year and a half) ago. Who knows when it will be updated.

Ryan
 #546401  by ToledoTerminalRy

I rechecked this link and there are more carferry's visible if you move the map to the right or East. Move it totally into the black section of the map, it will update the map then move it back. It should show 3 ferrys.
Also if you move to the coal docks you can see the small CSX narrow gauge pushers, I counted a total of seven.

Ryan
 #547967  by CSXT 700

I can only find one on the map and I only know of one there. It is the old carferry from Pt. Huron Mi. Where I used to work. The ballast has been there for a long time. It is the #1 Ballast loading site (both quickest and the most) on the CSX system. It it carried far and wide for trackwork all over the system from western New York to Ottawa, Il, to St louis, and all the way down to south of Cincy, and into WV. Usually average two ballas trains a day out of there.
 #552509  by CSXT 700

The one on the left is the one from Pt. Huron. The other two look like the ones from Detroit. Not shure about them, but the one on the left is definatly the one from Pt. Huron.