Railroad Forums 

• NS Bloomington District Update

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#522950  by NS145

I'm looking for some updated info on NS' operations on the Bloomington District between Bement and East Peoria. I would like to setup a railfan trip up to my old stomping grounds in Bloomington-Normal, but I know that my info is woefully out-of-date. Plus, I have heard about the 2 new Decatur-Good Yard trains 30R/31R. Any info on train operations and the best time of day to catch some action would be greatly appreciated!

#531951  by bn13814

I haven't followed the line east of Bloomington-Normal for awhile but on Saturday afternoons, roadswitcher D47D makes a turn to East Peoria and back. Often this run puts the crew near their 12 hours limit. the job goes on duty Monday through Saturday at 0700.

As for operations, I believe train 30R come sup from Decatur in late AM/afternoon and usually reaches Good Yard by mid- to late-afternoon. I understand 31R is supposed to depart for Decatur around midnight but pics on rrpicturearchives.net by Steve Smedley indicate frequent morning/early afternoon departures.

D49D goes on duty at 2100 Sunday through Thursday evenings and works the yard before make the East Peoria turn. Both D47D and D49D may make runs to AgRail LLC in the UP's Bloomington Yard, switch Midwest Fiber and/or deliver/pull empty autoracks at the storage tracks at Dean on the south side of Bloomington. (junction of ex-Conrail line).

Grain extras originate at Good Yard from time to time, though I expect mostly during the fall and winter months.