Railroad Forums 

• Ohio Railroad Books

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#522049  by railohio

Throughout the summer I'd like to compile a list of railroad books with Ohio as a major focus. Anybody can reply to this thread with suggestions and I will (eventually) edit them into the first post.

~BS

Borkowski Jr., Richard C. Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad in Color, Volume 1. Scotch Plains, New Jersey: Morning Sun Books, 2002.

Cook, Preston. Erie Lackawanna Memories. Silver Springs, Maryland: Old Line Graphics, 1987.

DeYoung, Larry. Erie Lackawanna in Color Volume 1: The West End. Scotch Plains, New Jersey: Morning Sun Books, 1991.

Dicken, Bruce K. and James M. Semon. Nickel Plate Color Photography of Willis A. McCaleb, Volume 1 Buffalo - Bellevue. Scotch Plains, New Jersey: Morning Sun Books, 1995.

Dicken, Bruce K. and James M. Semon. Nickel Plate Color Photography of Willis A. McCaleb, Volume 2 Buffalo - Chicago - Wheeling District. Scotch Plains, New Jersey: Morning Sun Books, 1996.

Grant, H. Roger. Ohio on the Move. Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press, 2000.

Hartley, Scott. Conrail Volume 1: 1976-1990. Piscataway, New Jersey: Railpace Company, 1990.

Hartley, Scott. Conrail Volume 2: 1983-1990. Piscataway, New Jersey: Railpace Company, 1990.

Hickcox, David H. and Dale A. DeVene, Jr. Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad in Color. Scotch Plains: Morning Sun Books, 2001.

McDonnell, Greg. Heartland. Toronto: Boston Mills Press - Stoddart Publishing, 1993.

Ori, David P. and Stepehen J. Salamon and David P. Oroszi. Baltimore & Ohio Sunburst Trail to Chicago. Silver Springs, Maryland: Old Line Graphics, 1993.
Last edited by railohio on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#522474  by shlustig

Add to the list:

The Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway by John B. Corns - TLC Pub. - 1991

#522779  by railohio

There are, I believe, two volumes to the Wheeling & Lake Erie from TLC. I'll have to do some digging about them and add 'em to my list. Thanks for the suggestion!

~BS

#522930  by shlustig

The handbook for the NOARS (Northern Ohio Association of Railroad Societies) 2006 symposium on the Van Sweringen's and the Advisory Mechanical Committee (AMC) extensively covered the Cleveland Union Terminal project and operations.

#523339  by shlustig

If you are including interurban lines in the listing, there are:

The Cleveland, Columbus & Southwestern Story by Max E Wilcox
1960 Self Published

The Southwestern Lines by Jeffrey R. Brashares & Mabel Dillon 1982

Through the Heart of Ohio: the Columbus Delaware & Marion Electric Co.
Jeffrey R. Brashares & R. M. Klaus Terminal Press

The Toledo, Port Clinton & Lakeside Railway by George W. Hilton
1997 Montevallo Historical Press

#523388  by kr4bd

Here is my contribution to this list:

Detroit, Toledo and Ironton Railroad in Color, by David H. Hickcox and Dale A DeVene, Jr. , c. 2001, Published by Morning Sun Books, Scotch Plains, NJ

Henry Ford: When I Ran the Railroads...A Chronical of Henry Ford's Operation of the DT&I (1920-1929), by Scott D. Trostel, c. 1989, Published by Cam-Tech Publishing, Fletcher, OH

The Detroit Toledo and Ironton Railroad...Henry Ford's Railroad, by Scott D. Trostel, c. 1988, Published by Cam-Tech Publishing, Fletcher, OH

Summit Hill, The Balloon Route over the D.T.&I. Railroad, by Scott Trostel, c. 1987, Published by Cam-Tech Publishing, Fletcher, OH

#524092  by shlustig

Here's another:

TRACKSIDE AROUND CLEVELAND 1965-1979 by Dave McKay
Morning sun 2004

#524757  by Smtimko

A shameless plug, but you asked...........

Trackside Around Youngstown with Dave McKay by Stephen Timko. Published by Morning Sun Books May 2007

Trackside in the Rust Belt with Cal Banse by Stephen Timko. To be released by Morning Sun Books June 2008.

Future releases: Trackside in Eastern Ohio with Dave McKay by Stephen Timko and Trackside in Western Ohio with Dave McKay by Stephen Timko, both due from Morning Sun Books, release date not posted yet.

SMT

#527975  by railohio

Many thanks for the replies! I picked up this past weekend the Morning Sun volume on Erie facilities in Ohio that I'll add to the list soon along with your recommendations so far.

~BS
 #543592  by rdganthracite

"Railroad Stations of Coshocton Ohio" R. L. Hoover Cam Tech Publishing 1997

"The Federal Valley Railroad Company and its Ancestors, 1845 - 1954" David E. Byers Integrity Press 2000
 #550657  by shlustig

Also, NORTHERN OHIO PORT CITIES, published by the Northern Ohio Association of Railway Societies (NOARS) for the May 2008 joint meetings of the New York Central System Historical Society (NYCSHS) and the National Model Railroad Association Mid-Central Region (NMRA-Div. 4, host).

This covers the railroads and ports at Sandusky, Huron, Lorain, Cleveland, Fairport Harbor, Ashtabula Harbor, and Conneaut.
 #574675  by KC8WJG

Bradford The Railroad Town by Scott D. Trostel, c. 1988, Published by Cam-Tech Publishing, Fletcher, OH. There was a second printing recently with some added photos. This covers the former PRR junction village in western Ohio on the Columbus to Chicago/Indianapolis routes.
 #597817  by Lew

OHIO'S RAILWAY AGE IN POSTCARDS by H. Roger Grant. Also, RAILROAD POSTCARDS IN THE AGE OF STEAM, by the same author, not specifically Ohio, but enough to hold your interest..

There's a series of books being done by a University of Toledo geology professor named Mark S. Camp, covering Ohio depots.
RAILROAD DEPOTS OF NORTHWEST OHIO
RAILROAD DEPOTS OF WEST CENTRAL OHIO
RAILROAD DEPOTS OF NORTHEAST OHIO
RAILROAD DEPOTS OF CENTRAL OHIO

All published by Arcadia Publishing.
 #742275  by Northwest727

*"The Lake Shore Electric Railway Story"-Herbert H. Harwood, Robert S. Korach, Indiana University Press (March 1, 2001)

These are all by Arcadia Publishing:
*TOLEDO RAILROADS
*AKRON RAILROADS
CANTON AREA RAILROADS
*LAKE SHORE ELECTRIC RAILWAY
RAILROADING IN CONNEAUT

*=detones I have read these books
 #1041514  by nycrick

TRACKSIDE AROUND TOLEDO - 1946-1976 w/Emery Gulash by Jerry Pinkepank from Morning Sun published 2012