Railroad Forums 

• Ohio Central gets more trackage

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#40218  by spflanger

I was on the Dennison Ohio to Morgan Run ride on Friday and I heard the conductor say that the Ohio Central picked up about 100 more miles of track. Anyone have more details?
 #40280  by Guest

Would that be the old PRR main from Crestline to Adams, Indiana?

#40326  by tocfan

I was there friday and was told it was the CSX branch from Newark to Mt Vernon/Fredrickstown and the CSX branch from Newark to Cambridge/Byesville. There may be more though because I dont think that would add up to 100 miles of track.

Mike

#41417  by emtboo

The Crestline to Adams, Indiana line is now run by Rail Americas Central Railroad of Indianpolis and is called the Chicago, Fort Wayne and Eastern. They were supposed to take over operations on the 1st of August. Also, from what I heard, the Newark to Fredrickstown line was supposed to be pulled up, hopefully OHCR was able to stop that from happening.
 #48473  by lasrr1

Just finished a trip down Rt. 13 last Sunday and noticed that all rails from Fredericktown, Ohio to Mt. Vernon, Ohio on the old Sandusky, Mansfield, Newark (B&O) CSX line have been removed. Just the ties and plates left on the ground. Didnt take long for that to happen. Just three weeks ago everything was intact.
Ohio Central has purchased the entire line to Newark and the old CSX line from Cambridge to Newark.
Looks like the bike trail people will be able to get the connection to the Kokosing Trail in Mt. Vernon that everyone has been waiting for for some time. Hope they keep the old whistle posts intact.
CSX is selling off property like a fire sale. Goodbye Midland line to Cincinnati, former B&O main in central Ohio, former PRR main Ft. Wayne to Crestline as well.
Hail to Central Ohio RR and Rail America for keeping some of these old rail lines going.