Return of the living dead :)

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

Glen Warmann

Return of the living dead :)

Post by Glen Warmann » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:12 am

Hi Matt and all on the OHIO forums!!! Been a while since I posted anything on RRNET. Have not had too much access to a P.C. lately, But, Here I am. One Ohio question, Is Fostoria still as buisy as it was 3 years ago??? I still want to get there one of these years. And, Are all three sets of diamonds acessible??? Thanks for any info.

Glen

matt

Post by matt » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:49 pm

Hey Glen. Yes Fostoria is as busy as ever. We went down a couple of days ago and saw about 30 trains in about 6 hours.

The NS/CSX(B&O) can be photographed from the depot parking lot, which is between the 2 mains.

The NS/CSX(C&O) diamond is almost right on a road so you can get pretty close.

The CSX/CSX diamond is near F-Tower so you can't get toooooo close but good photos are still available, especially with proper zoom-in.

We look forward to the day you visit, Glen. Keep in touch.

Glen Warmann

Post by Glen Warmann » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:09 am

Well, As soon as I get a better car than the one I have, I will head on down. Glad the three diamonds are either accessible, or close to accessible. One more Fostoria question, Are there any hobby shops in Fostoria? Would be a great place for one!!! I'm really hoping to get there by next spring or summer, even if I have to RENT a car!!! Because of times, taking Amtrak is OUT!!!!

Glen

chessie8212

Post by chessie8212 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:53 pm

Glen-

I do not believe there is a hobby shop in Fostoria. At least there hasn't been one easily found when I've been there time and time again.

There is, however, one in Tiffin which is just a quick hop on Rt 18 out of Fostoria. It's about a 10 minute trip, and the great thing is that the CSX ex-B&O line is within view the whole trip, and Tiffin holds it's own railfanning opportunities as well. It's not a big hobby shop, but it's nice nonetheless. I live in Fremont, which is about 12 miles northeast of Fostoria and I make the trip to that hobby shop about every other week... along with a sidetrip to Fostoria of course! :wink:

WNYRailfan

Post by WNYRailfan » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:56 pm

Well eventhough there is not an official hobby shop in Fostoria. There is an antique shop with some rail stuff in it and around it.
I was in Fostoria over the 4th of July weekend, so the shop was closed as was almost everything else. I did get the chance to see some live action.

I found only 4 of the 6 stations in Fostoria.
Where is the former C&O freight station?
Dan West's database says its at the OH Route 12 C&O crossing. Since I do not have an older map...where is the C&O crossing?

The other station I missed was the one at E. High and Spruce...since again I did not have any map with me.

From Toledo...what is the best way to get to Fostoria...OH-199, US-23, or I-75 to OH-18?

What is the address of the hobby shop in Tiffin you mentioned?
Thanks.

WNYRailfan

Return to “Midwestern Railfan”