Railroad Forums 

• Champaign Railfanning

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#486005  by Wisconsin Railfan

Good Day All!

First off Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I am going to be visiting my Nephew who lives in Champaign, and was wondering if anyone could share their railfanning locations. street names and locations greatly appreciated. My Nephew is is more of an airplane guy (he is an air traffic controller in Champaign). What type of action can I expect to see? What times are best to go? Thanks in advance for any information.

#486074  by CarterB

There are two trains a day on Amtrak each way that stop at the
Champaign station, 45 E University Ave. Also quite a few CN/IC freights will pass through there. Even better might be down the road a bit to Tuscola, IL where both the IC and UP cross, as well as the CSX chemical plant drill, with lots of action that can be viewed at N. Parke St at N. Central Ave.

#495615  by Arborwayfan

Just in case you haven't gone yet, or are going back:
The current Amtrak/bus station is very pleasant, but doesn't give you a great view. The platform is only open when the Amtrak trains are there, and the platform roof and fence make it hard to see trains from the big windowns in the waiting room. For a good view from outside, try one of these spots: (1) the Illinois Terminal Building long-term/free parking lot (also Amtrak long-term parking) on the east side of the tracks, across the tracks from the station; (2) the city parking lot on the east side of the tracks two blocks to the north of #1, just north of the police station; (3) the parking lot in front of either of the two former stations, which are both just to the north of the current station, across University Ave. and on the west side of the tracks.

IC/CN runs to the Kraft/Humko factory on the west side of Champaign (Mattis Ave?) about once a day, and sometimes goes further west along the remains of the line to Monticello. Last time I saw them they still had a caboose because they ran backwards for several miles, if that interests you. I don't know when they tend to go these days, but it used to be worth following the tracks out to the factory in the mid-morning. They branch off from the main just north of the stations, and head west across Champaign. Don't confuse them with the NS tracks, which cross the IC/CN on a diamond a little further north.