Railroad Forums 

• Bedford Street Running

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#34522  by Arborwayfan

Does anyone know when the best time of day or night is to catch a train in Bedford? I see a daily pair of coal trains headed south on the CP ex Soo ex Milwaukee Road from Terre Haute, and I think they are headed to some coal mine south of Bedford, but I don't know when they go through.

#34646  by storrs19

The coal trains are heading for the Indiana Railroad at Linton or to a mine on the Soo Line at Beehunter, sadly they do not make it to Bedford. I live in New Albany and hear the Soo Line train coming in and going out at any given time. They don't have much of a schedule. I'm not even sure if they are running every day. About 15 years ago they came in every night between 10pm and 11pm and went out the next morning at 10am like clockwork :(
Since they get a track warrant from the CP dispatcher faxed to them at NS Yard, the best way to get ready is hopefully have someone email or call you when they leave Louisville. You may be able to hear them get blocks on the Monon depending where you live. Wish I had more help, but they just run whenever. Have you seen the tape by Clear Block called "Into the '90's - Soo Line - Volume 3"? It has some video of them street running in Bedford circa 1994.

Chad

#35708  by Zog

Unfortunately there is no set schedule to catch Trains Z490/491 through Bedford. They can appear at any time. I just got back from a week shooting the blades on the Hoosier Subdivision and during the 5 days I was covering the line I caught the northbound Z490 only once. It went through Bedford at about 9:30 AM. The interesting thing was that it ran with CSX power instead of the normal CP units.