Railroad Forums 

• AWW SD-9 Information needed

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#23642  by Zog

I am planning a future trip to the Louiville area and am interested in checking out the AWW's SD-9's based in Oakland City IN. Do these units still retain their high noses? I know they work the line to the mine at Cato IN. Do they operate over any other lines as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated
 #23938  by cjberndt

In 2000, some if not all of AW&W's SD9's (#203-206) were still high-hood (I can't find my photos).

AW&W served Kindell mines #1 and #2, one being southeast and one northeast of AW&W's Oakland City facilities. Production at the southeast mine was voluntarily stopped in about 1999 although the reserves there were not depleted. When I visited in 2000 I was told that production at the northeast mine had increased as a result. I recall that the increase did not fully compensate the loss of the other mine's output, and that AW&W was hauling less coal as a result.

AW&W also served a tie creosoting business northeast of their shops. I think it accounted for less than 100 carloads per year.

There is an ancient AW&W caboose at a house on SR64 just outside of the driveway that runs south to AW&W's shops. There is also a former Southern bay window caboose that is a pizza shop in Oakland City.

Craig Berndt