Railroad Forums 

• Last trains through Culver Indiana

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#301306  by Indianarailfan

Does anyone know what year the last trains passed through Culver daily and last trains on the line?

#301502  by CarterB

I would be interested in knowing that also, AND, when the line was abandoned, did the VERRRRRRRRRRY expensive homes on the West shore get adverse posession of the rail lakefront property or was it sold to them by
Conrail?

RE:

#301625  by Indianarailfan

A friend of mine said they stopped running daily in 1968 which would have made since because Penn Central would start abadoning a lot of the low traffic lines. I don't know about what year the last train came through. I know the tracks were removed between here and Lucurne in 1974. So the last trains might have of been in 1978 due to the fact the grain elevator in Culver burnt down on Halloween 1978. If that was the case grain would of shipped to Plymouth and got on the Pennsy line.
 #601179  by ELSFRR

This is still Indianarailfan, just changed my name. Anyway, the line was sold by Penn Central to the lake people and the track was removed in 1976.