Railroad Forums 

• Two south central Ohio shortlines

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#189652  by depotsquare

I am curious about two lines that operated north and northeast of Chillicothe: the Kingston & Adelphi and Columbus & Southern. I know the former was founded in 12/1885 and was reorganized as the Marietta, Hocking & Northern in 1893 and abandoned around 10/1899 (according to Edson). Site visits have only found a few traces near Hallville.

The C&S began as the Columbus, Lancaster & Southern in 1895. Map references show trackage rights extending over the old Pennsy from Lancaster to Wyandotte Junction before beginning the C&S mainline to the south. The CL&S was reorganized as the Columbus, Wellston & Southern in 1899; then the C&S in 1903. It was abandoned in 1916. I've only found one small article on this line in a geneology site. Reference is made to an attempt to grade further south of South Bloomingville to access the southern Ohio coal fields. Supposedly, the depot at Laurelville still stands as a storage building. There are remnants of this line along country roads, but the northern section, which passes through farmland is virtually all gone.

It certainly seems that the K&A was mostly an agricultural products hauler. One vintage map reference indicates the K&A and C&S interchanged just north of Laurelville, but given the terrain, that is dubious at best. Anyone else have any information on either line or know of any articles or photos that exist? Thanks for any help.
John