Railroad Forums 

• Unusual train on CP belt line in Terre Haute

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#177129  by Arborwayfan

Last Saturday I saw very long string of loaded auto racks, pulled by CSX locomotives, pass through Deming Park on the CP belt line that goes around Terre Haute to the east. It was the longest train I've ever seen on that line except for coal trains. It was the only auto racks I've ever seen there. It was the only CSX locomotives I've ever seen there. (The usual daily traffic is one or two pairs of coal trains, a few short strings of cars for the industries including a railroad tie plant (generally without FREDs), and the occasional train of mixed freight (with FRED), that appears to be headed off down the Latta Sub.
Does anyone know if CP has picked up some major shipments of new cars over the Latta Sub, and leased CSX locomotives to pull them? Or if there was some kind of accident or obstruction on the CSX north-south line in Terre Haute last Saturday (10-15) that might have caused CSX to arrange to run over the CP belt line? I often think that the city of Terre Haute should try to get CSX and CP to come to an arrangement to run some of CSX's through north-south trains around by the CP belt line, which has many fewer grade crossings than the downtown CSX main.