Railroad Forums 

• Erie Western?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#175843  by dhaugh

I'm wondering if any of the Erie Western is still operated, which I believe ran between Hammond and Decatur. thx.

#175892  by Hoosier Joe

It shut down in 1979,I used to watch their trains very often. Joe

#176720  by dhaugh

All of it? A recent Indiana map of mine shows a segment that MIGHT be former Erie Western on the western part of the state.

#177338  by Hoosier Joe

The ex-Erie track from North Judson to Monterray was operated by a shortline called the JKL Line,I am not sure if they are still in business.

#177378  by kr4bd

The section from North Judson to Monterry was ripped up about two years ago. The Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum in N. Judson was able to keep slightly over of mile of the line from the museum Eastward for their use.

#177399  by rbarcus

The HVRM was thankfully able to save part of the old Erie, but it's not the only surviving piece of Erie trackage in Indiana. There is another short stretch of Erie trackage in Rochester, Indiana that serves a grain loading facility just outside of town. The track extends almost up to US 31, but the bridge was removed and the space where the track used to run was filled in a few years back. It's operated by the Fulton County Railroad. The FCRR runs as-needed between Argos and Rochester on the old Nickel Plate and interchanges with Norfolk Southern at Argos.

Anyone interested in riding the old Erie can do so throughout the summer at the HVRM. This past summer we normally ran 4 trains a day, almost always with our authentic EL caboose in tow. For more information visit our website at http://hvrm.railfan.net