Railroad Forums 

• Request for Info on Rail Line in East Troy, Wisconsin

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#169670  by TheBaran

I would appreciate any information that can be provided on a rail line I recently saw in Wisconsin (I was on a business trip from New Jersey and have little knowledge of the active/abandoned lines in the area). The single-track rail line crossed Route 20 at grade in East Troy, Wisconsin, just before the entrance to Interstate 43. The line had intact catenary but lots of grass/weeds between the rails (which were not rusty). Curious on the heritage and present status of the line.

Thank you.
 #169692  by Komachi

While I lived in Milwaukee for three years while I went to UWM (University of Wisconisn - Milwaukee), I never got over to East Troy. However, the line you described sounds like it could have been part of the East Troy Traction Museum.

Here's a link to their website.
http://www.easttroyrr.org/locating.htm

According to their location described on the site...

East Troy and the museum are centrally located in southeastern Wisconsin where Interstate 43 meets State Highways 20, 120 and County Highway ES.

So, that's probably the line you saw.

#170411  by TheBaran

That would be the one...thanks for the info.

By the way, first time in Wisconsin (Fort Atkinson and Whitewater areas). Very nice....houses and farms are well kept, no litter/graffiti, people are friendly. Ended up being a very pleasant business trip.

#171589  by MR77100

Although you have probably already read the link, the line is a remnant of The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company, which once had ann extensive system throughout Wisconsin. The East Troy branch was abandoned in 1939, but the 7-mile segment was purchased between East Troy and the Soo interchange at Mukwanago for freight service. A museum later was formed, and in 1993, purchased the line from the town of East Troy.
 #171590  by Komachi

MR77100,

I like your signature...

"Land of the Lime Green and Yellow!"

Yeah, GO, PACK, GO!!!!!!!! :wink:

Sorry, couldn't help it, since we were already talking about Wisconsin...

Anybody know if the wire is original to the line, or was it strung when the musuem opened? Just currious.

#171695  by MR77100

Komachi-
Thanks for the compliments on my signature. I am also a member of ITS.

Getting back to the subject, I believe the wire is original. I know a guy who does volunteer work up there, and he said they replaced the South Shore cars pantagraphs with trolley poles because the pantagraphs would have torn down the 90-year old wire. BTW, the line has existed under the name East Troy Electric Railroad twice as long as it existed as The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company!