Railroad Forums 

• Warren, Ohio Questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1422394  by XC Tower

A few questions from a drive through and around Warren, OH, today...Who operates the trackage in the city? I spotted an awesome old wooden freight(?) station with a Keystone incorporated into the Warren sign on it...Which line of the old Pennsy was it?
Heading back out of town on Ohio Route 82, there is a set of double track crossing under the road.....The old EL?
Lastly, the OSR Steel MIll....Still operational and serviced by rail?

Thank You,

XC
 #1541857  by urr304

The station you seen is a replica that was built by an electrical contractor, I do not know if they are still in business. This was the former PY&A of the PRR. AFAIK, no railroad structures exist in Warren anymore [not counting bridges]. The PY&A was being run by Ohio Central from Niles to N.Warren the they had rights on former E-L [Erie Second Sub, the original A&GW] from there to Latimer [NS Youngstown line, originally NYC/LS&MS]. That traffic disappeared with closing and total destruction of the former Republic Works. I have not been in area for awhile, so I do not know if coke works still are active or have been shutdown [its traffic was being serviced by CSX at one time].

I think Ohio Central still comes up PY&A onto the Erie line to serve some plants between Mahoning Ave and Elm Road. That line was the original line [remember A&GW was Salamanca to Dayton]; it is out of service from Mahoning Ave [RT45] to Leavittsburg, that is where you saw track/r.o.w. under Rt.82. Leavittsburg was the junction/crossing of the Erie's First Sub Mahoning Div [Cleveland-Warren-Youngstown-Sharon-Pymatuning Jct/Transfer] with the Second Sub [Pymatuning Jct-Latimer-Cortland-northside Warren-Ravenna-Kent]. If it is still there, single track south of those lines in a parallel curve was the B&O's line from Newton Falls-Warren-DeForest, which was its original Pittsburgh-Akron main.

The Ohio Star Forge AFAIK does not use rail service though money was expended to rebuild the former B&O from NWarren to the former Copperweld facility.

The PY&A from northside of Warren to Ashtabula is now a bike/hike trail. Interestingly, the former Erie Lisbon branch from Niles south is part of the trail system; it actually was part of the PY&A but was sold to the Erie so they could build from Niles to Youngstown to New Castle.

I have to go now, most likely others can give more updated information.