Railroad Forums 

• While treasure hunting in the back yard....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1397930  by wx8skyohio

First off, let me say if this is not the proper category...I apologize in advance.

Living along the NS Fort Wayne Line in Central Ohio is by far the neatest thing ever. I purchased a metal detector online last week and was able to get out today (Sunday the 21st of August), while scanning the yard, my detector went off hitting on what was suspected to be $0.25, it showed at a depth of around 6" down. I grabbed the shovel and started digging.

*TING* - I hit something steel (obviously not a quarter), so I dug a little more, and then some more....and yet some more. I still have not completely unearthed this "quarter".
boiler.jpg
boiler.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 4676 times
I told my wife, that it sure looks like some sort of boiler part. I did a quick search online and found that there was a head on collision here in town around 1892. Could this actually be part of the boiler from 1892??

Any railroad guys that have a backhoe and want to come over and unearth this thing?