Railroad Forums 

• Researching Wood Shipping Crate: S & P # Iowa Central

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1389396  by carlsoft

I am researching a wood shipping crate that was sent to Alexander, Iowa. The box most likely had railroad paperwork nailed to the outside as there were tiny spots of paper nailed to the box. There is; however, a large hand written name and address below the railroad notation of "S. & P. # Iowa Central".

I've found information regarding the Iowa Central as follows:

This railroad was formed in 1866 as the Eldora Railroad & Coal Company to exploit coal found near Eldora. In 1867 it changed its name to the Central Railroad Company of Iowa. In 1870 it was renamed the Iowa Central. In 1901 it was absorbed into the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway. Alexander was plated in 1885 and built around a branch of the Iowa Central that was completed in 1881.

The person the crate was sent to lived from 1834 to 1902, but did not arrive in America (from Germany) until 1861. The crate would have to date from 1885 to 1901 based upon the railroad data. This person was a farmer.

I am trying to determine what the "S. & P." portions stands for. I am not sure if its another railroad or stands for another railroad term. The only railroad that I've found so far with those initials is the "Vicksburg, Shreveport & Pacific Railroad".

The crate also has stenciling in two places on one side that refers to its contents:

"3488"

48-SPS
30-3-FBLACK
9600-YARDS
CARL SOFT

The case also has hand written text that appears to address it contents as follows: "48 ?? 30/3 ?? BLK 9600 CARL SOFT"".

So far my guess is that it contained 48 spools of black yarn of 200 yards each.

I am looking for any information on the phrase "S. & P." and its possible contents.