Railroad Forums 

• Any Cut Up Or Abandoned Lines That Could Have Been Useful?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1318670  by MILW261

Are there any cut up or otherwise abandoned lines here in the Midwest that now could be useful due to the recent surge in traffic? My nomination is the Minneapolis & St. Louis from Minneapolis, MN, to Peoria, IL. A "Peoria Gateway" would come in handy in terms of easing the pressure on Chicago by rerouting from the Twin Cities traffic that otherwise would have needed to go through Chi-Town.
 #1318742  by mtuandrew

MILW261 wrote:Are there any cut up or otherwise abandoned lines here in the Midwest that now could be useful due to the recent surge in traffic? My nomination is the Minneapolis & St. Louis from Minneapolis, MN, to Peoria, IL. A "Peoria Gateway" would come in handy in terms of easing the pressure on Chicago by rerouting from the Twin Cities traffic that otherwise would have needed to go through Chi-Town.
I'd vote for the M&StL too, but only the old Iowa Central section from Mason City to Albia, and from there the Wabash to Moberly, MO. There's no true direct route to St. Louis from Minneapolis aside from the Burlington route, and that could use some competition.

Otherwise, the CGW from Mason City to Council Bluffs would sure have been nice, and it's a crime that the Rock Island Choctaw route from Memphis to Amarillo is gone.