Railroad Forums 

• Towers

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#9526  by MR77100

I am trying to find the closing and demolition dates of the following towers, if they ever existed:
-Defiance
-Sherwood
-Ohio City
-Continental
-Holgate
-Hamler
-Delta
-Attica Jct.
-Bellevue
-Chillicothe
-Springfield
-Piqua
-Galion
-Crestline (still standing)
-Greenwich (shack)
-Columbus Grove
-Washington CH
-Portsmouth
-Mingo Jct.
-Vermillion
-West Manchester
-Latty
-Cecil
-Napoleon
-Bryan
-Maumee
-Delphos
-Troy
-Cary
-Forest
-Upper Sandusky
-Arlington
-Mortimer
-Galetea

#10625  by MR77100

Here are some more:
-Delaware
-London
-Alliance
-Orrville
-Shelby
-Sandusky
-Celina
-Ansonia
-Union City (still standing)
-Meekers
-West Manchester
-New Paris
-Circleville
-Mansfield

#19482  by MR77100

I remember hearing somewhere about a tower still being in place at Newton Falls, OH? Is this true?

#21146  by Pj

Deshler and Lepisc still stand. The inside of Lepisc junction still has the old wiring relays and the base of the lever controls. The building for all purposes is in pretty good shape.

I have pics if anyone wants to see them

#21339  by MR77100

I know about Deshler and Leipsic, since I have visited those locations many times over the years. I would strongly discourage anyone from climbing into the Leipsic tower because wasps find it a nice place for their nests. I had a painful experience a few years ago.

#21704  by Pj

Just thinking about it...how owns the Lepsic tower, NS or CSX?
 #21786  by EL903

MR77100,YES THERE IS STILL A TOWER IN NEWTON FALLS OHIO AND IT STILL MANNED 24 HRS A DAY BY CSX.HOPE THIS HELPS...EL903.

#22525  by WNYRailfan

From Mapquest.com, it appears that Deshler trackage and the tower was owned by the B&O, so following the progression B&O -->C&O --> Chessie --> CSX...it would seem that the Deshler tower is owned by CSX.

I found this website that may help.
http://www.deshlerohio.org

For Leipsic Junction, it appears that the B&O crossed the N&W at the Leipsic tower. B&O-->CSX N&W --> NS. I will guess that NS owns this tower.

Does anyone have any idea how to access the Leipsic tower without tresspassing on rail property?

This posting is just in theory, I have never been to this part of Ohio and looking at my screen name you will realize where I do most of my railfanning (until July '04 when I move to Toledo, OH).

WNYRailfan

#22591  by WNYRailfan

Thanks for the pics!!!!
What year were these taken??? Recently? :wink:

I think that sometimes you have to tresspass to preserve the past. I know so many railfans that said...if only I would have taken pictures when I walked around X yard or Y tower. If you already made the trip to the tower, why not take some pictures that way you will preserve what you saw on film or as a digital image. Just an opinion.

I wish rail property owners would grant permission to photographers. I have been told that even if I wrote to a railroad and asked permission to stand on the rail property and take a picture, I would not be granted that permission. I asked a rail employee and he said in all honesty he didn't know why his employer did not grant permission but he said that it has always been that way. :(

I am just satisfied that in Ohio there still are preserved towers. I grew up in Western New York and there are only a few towers left. All of the inactive towers (>10) around Buffalo, NY were torn down by the early 1990's. There are only a few active towers left, these towers are in active rail yards, so they are not accessible to the railfan population. (e.g. You would definitely be arrested within minutes if you tried to get to them.) :P

#23695  by MR77100

PJ-
Nice pics but where are the wasp nests? That is just something to keep in mind next time you find an abandoned tower in the warm weather.
-Mark

#23709  by Pj

When I was there, I did look around, but there wasn't anything flying around or crawling for that matter. Actually, the ceilings/walls and all that seemed pretty clean considering..