Railroad Forums 

• Monon trackage in nothern Indiana

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#133082  by Hoosierailnut

Whats the latest on the rest of the old Monon from NW Indiana down to near Greencastle As well as the southern part from Bedford to Louisville ? last i heard RA was alooking to get this trackage plus the old PE from Crawfordsville to Indy.. IMHO this would give RA a complete through route from Cinci to Chi town.

#133132  by PRRGuy

NICTD owns the segment from State line tower (including the former South Hammond yard area) to Munster, IN where the CSX turns off of the GTW back to the ex Monon to the south.

#133152  by MikeF

Is NICTD just holding that trackage for future use or does CSS operate freight on it?

#133236  by PRRGuy

That section of line isn't connected to anything anymore on either end however the main is in place along all of it, as well as the bridge on the south side of the yard, the only track in the yard is a passing siding along the former main. If they did have freight on that section I suppose the only customer would be Pepsi in Munster, as their plant backs up along the main right where the former PRR panhandle line crossed.

#134358  by MR77100

So the Monon is still in place to State Line? I thought it was gone. Where does it pick up? BTW, when did the last train run on the segment through to Manyard?

#134575  by PRRGuy

It's in place in place from maynard to Holman Ave. Tower, where it crossed the IHB and the NKP (NS) after that it's been removed.
The last train s to use this segment I believe were under L&N ownership around 1979, possibly up to 1983. I haven't started looking more into that yet.

#138239  by Hoosierailnut

I guess i should have clarified what i asked about when I posted. Hi HI. :-)
Has anyone heard of any new news on the remaining section from NW Indiana down to Crawfordsville? Last i heard RA was interested in the line(as well as the old PE) to connect them to the rest of their system in Indi..
I can see this as they would have a COMPLETE Cinci/Chicago line.