Railroad Forums 

• Switchers

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#115852  by jimnorthwood

While driving north on Cummings Road on Saturday, I saw a CSX train in Walbridge Yard. The interesting part of this train was seeing two green switch engines tucked in behind the CSX power. The switch engines looked to be a matched set, and seemed to be lettered identically, though I didn't want to try to get close enough to read the lettering. Interesting to see switch engines these days, an increasingly rare breed.

Also, a couple of weekends ago a CSX train was headed north at Vickers. Power was a single switch engine, perhaps an MP-1500? That is the first time that I have ever seen a train on the TT led by a switch engine, at least in modern times. TT had Alco switchers, but they disappeared long ago. I don't recall seeing any switch engines around Walbridge or Stanley, or around any of the other Toledo yards for that matter, except for Lang when the Shore Line was around.

#115968  by matt

Yeah, CSX doesn't use switchers around Toledo, the ones you saw were no doubt being delivered via CSX to someplace. The last switcher I saw was a few months ago, a light blue switcher from the Patapsco and Black River Railroad heading east on NS thru Toledo.

#131767  by GOLDEN-ARM

The power you saw was on it's way to the I&O. They are the HLCX 1400-1401, little mp-15's, from mexico. Power is tight, on the I&O, and these are leased, to assist the running of the "roustabouts", which handle the local industries. I have run them both, and other than the fact they lack ditch lights on the cab-end, they are decent little engines. (We call them the "Mike & Ike" engines). They are working out of McCullough, or Washington Court House. Regards :wink:

#132561  by ToledoTerminalRy

That is the first time that I have ever seen a train on the TT led by a switch engine, at least in modern times.

Back in the days of Conrail (10-15 years ago) I remember seeing 2 Conrail switchers SW-1200? but they always ran together and usually about once every other day untill one day they broke down right behind my house (that was so cool) and from then on I never saw them again.

#133207  by chessie8212

I've seen a CSX switcher and slug set at Stanley once. That was some time ago. I remember it because it was the first ever time I had seen those in person on any road. Any particular reason that they don't use them around Toledo?