Railroad Forums 

• "speak and spell" style detectors still in Ohio?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1126541  by crquality

Hi all, long time lurker, but recently registered here.

It's been about two years since I railfanned in Ohio, namely the old Conrail Indianapolis Line. While it has a couple of new names today, I was curious as to what detectors still retain the old Conrail voice along this line as I am hoping to make a trip that way in the future to capture some audio recordings before they get replaced with the newer-voiced systems.

Last time, DeGraff and Harper were the old "Speak and Spell" variety- the voice of the Servo System 9000 HBD system. But that's about all I recall between Marion and Sidney, OH.

Someone has to have knowledge for 2012/2013, as the best info I've got is from 2010, and a lot has changed since then!

-Josh
 #1160344  by crquality

I've made a few trips to various places and learned a few things.

There are at least a couple detectors in the Cleveland area still in this format, one being the Cleveland detector on the now single-tracked Chicago Line, I was never able to hear enough of the other to pinpoint its location..

Elsewhere, on the Indianapolis Line, the Detectors at both DeGraff and Harper OH (on either side of Bellefontaine) were in place, but on my last drive by, DeGraff had been replaced. Harper still remains, and on borrowed time.

I will miss these when they're gone... being something introduced in 1985 and the last software update being from 1998, they're all sure to be gone quickly, although I'm surprised there are still some out there to this day.

-Josh