Railroad Forums 

• Electric RR for sale...anyone know the story?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#110907  by Owen McGee

A few years ago, while calling on a customer on the south edge of town, I stumbled onto an electric rr under construction in Grand Rapids OH. This was a major operation...at least a quarter mile of track, three new buildings, including a brick powerhouse and a very large car barn, a wye, and a fair amount of rolling stock. One time when I was by there, there were a couple of guys working, who either wouldn't or couldn't tell me much about who was funding this, what the ultimate plans were, or much of anything else. I did glean out of them that this was not connected in any way with the T&LEW tousist railroad that abuts the property but has no track connecting to this. I guess that should have been obvious....the T&LEW is your typical underfunded, slightly shabby lovable tourist operation, vs the high dollar operation that was being built.

I was passing by Grand Rapids a couple of weeks ago, and stopped in to have a look - hadn't been there in a few years - and everything was obviously abandonded, with a huge "for sale" sign out front.

Someone poured an enormous amount of money into this. Who funded it? What was it called? Did they run out of money, or did their Sugar Daddy die? Is the rolling stock still in the car barn?

Very mysterious.

OhioTom

#112048  by jimnorthwood

I wondered about this electric operation myself, when I first stumbled upon it a few years ago. So it is for sale? Interesting. The only thing that I know about it is that I believe the locomotive came from Toledo Edison's (FirstEnergy) former Acme power plant in East Toledo, which was closed a number of years ago. I seem to recall a story in the Blade when the locomotive was trucked out of Toledo. But I don't ever recall seeing anything about this Grand Rapids venture in the newspaper, which is strange in that the Blade picks up on all things railroad. They even gave coverage to the ill-fated Toledo Central, which operated less than one summer on the former Clover Leaf tracks which parallel the Anthony Wayne Trail in South Toledo, near the Toledo Zoo.

#112248  by nycrick

This might be the old Waterfront Electric Railway equipment. Recently they trucked everything to Genoa, OH where they're planning to start operation of a trolley line in a city park there, once the city restores the old interurban depot there. :-)

#113192  by ToledoTerminalRy

it might behoove TLE&W to buy this property and store their loco's here - it is a nice piece of property - since it is up for sale.

Ryan

#129874  by mike

I drove by what remains of this operation and didn't see a for sale sign. The drive up to the buildings is roped off. I read in previous posts that this has nothing to do with the TLE&W, but it looks like they could easily tie onto the tracks. There's currently a caboose that's being overtaken by some vines and another freight car coupled to it. The weeds have been mowed from where the TLE&W stores cars and the like all the way down to this operation.

One other question. What is the status of the Genoa project? Thanks.

#136699  by nycrick

They've hit snag in Genoa (it might be Elmore, I'm not sure which one) so there's nothing going on right now with the WER. :(