Railroad Forums 

• Bessemer

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#104370  by ToledoTerminalRy

Drove by Lang yard on saturday Found mixed in a consist of CN d-9's and a BNSF widenose was Bessemer SD40T-3 unit 903 first bessemer unit ive seen. Maybe we'll see more of these with CN buying Bessemer.

Ryan

#104545  by railohio

What's the big draw with the B&LE units? They're always just across the state and you probably never once went east to see them but now that they're in Toledo it's a big deal? I'm lost here...

#104775  by matt

I don't think anyone is making that big a deal, personally foreign power on "visitor" rails is my #1 draw to the hobby.

Wherever it may be, the more color and variation, the better.

(Comes from fannin' the NS a lot)

#104989  by railohio

I'm sorry. I guess I just assumed if it was posted on here like this it was a big deal.

So, before I stick my foot in my mouth again, what makes "foreign" power any more interesting than seeing the same power on its home rails?

#105153  by matt

Brian, that's a good question. Why is a Warbonnet more interesting rounding Horseshoe Curve than it is crawling over Tehachapi? I'm sure there are many answers to that (I'd love to see the response to that question over at that other popular forum that we both participate at...they love their foreign power too).

For me, it's simple. If I'm a lifelong resident of, say, Ashtabula or Western Pennsylvania, and a railfan, I probably have 1-200 photos of a B&LE train crossing the Allegheny and another 1-200 photos of one entering a coal facility on lake Erie, and another 1000 or so photos from yards and signals and tunnels and curves, wherever I can get trackside on the B&LE, I have that photo.

I don't have a photo of a B&LE unit crossing the Mississippi at Davenport, IA, or passing the camera at Dunsmuir. If seeing either of these would not excite you, your draw to this hobby is different from mine, but every bit as valid (your photos are great).

This discussion reminds me of the age-old argument among railfans. Which is better, 5 or 6 trains a day thru some of the finest scenery this country has to offer (Shasta Route, Donner Pass), or 100 trains per day in front of a brick wall (Fostoria). I choose the latter but many would choose the former.

It's great that this hobby has so much to offer people of different tastes and for me, it's not knowing what's around the bend that keeps me going trackside.

#108857  by ToledoTerminalRy

Thank You, Matt. At first I thought the Lease units were neat too, now its just a blur of colors over here lol. The BNSF and UP units that often roll through here also grab my attention before CSX and NS (unless its a high nose). To me the less I see something the more exciting it is when I do see it. I love setting in my back yard watching trains with my son, and believe me Sun Oil is not a pretty background, but its not the background I enjoy its the equipment - the out of norm things. Like Matt said we all have our own opinion on this hobby - I dont like driving too far to see BNSF, UP or others when I can in my backyard or down at Vickers. Thats how I enjoy this hobby.

Ryan

#125865  by chessie8212

This Bessemer unit is on its way back to Toledo. It just came through Fremont from Bellevue on a WLE coal train not even 5 minutes ago. I was on my way home from some errands when I spotted it. And of course... didn't have my camera!

It'll probably be back in Lang in a few hours. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll jump on the WLE again and come back this way.