Railroad Forums 

• Jones

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#268  by MR77100

A piece of an IC branch that once ran to Newton now stops under I-57 at a location known as Jones, just southeast of Mattoon. I saw an ex=BN geep sitting there last summer. Who owns this line now?

#5198  by PD&EBuff

Staley
 #28543  by HoosierSubFan

The ex-IC line is now owned by Tate & Lyle Co. a British firm that purchased A.E. Staley Co. The BN SD7 is an ex-Great Northern unit set up to run long hood forward. (it's number excapes me right now). It is usually parked under the loader, so pictures can be hard to come by.

The unit is used rather frequently even during off-peak times of the year. It operates to the IC yard in Mattoon for interchange.

I once lucked out and got the unit parked away from the loader on a Sunny, Saturday Afternoon and not a soul was around........It made for some nice pics!

HoosierSubFan

#29962  by PD&EBuff

Thanks for the update on Staley HoosierSubFan.

A minor point: IC crews use IC crummy 199500 to push the traffic out past 9th Street, where BN 6009 picks it up. I have not seen the 6009 anywhere West of 9th Street since it was first delivered(back in the good ole days when there were still diesel tracks, and East yard tracks in Mattoon).

#30187  by MR77100

How far does the line go past Jones?

#30234  by PD&EBuff

Until 2002, it went all the way to Lerna. But they took it up just shy of Newby, about 1.2 miles past the elevator. If you check out my town page on Jones', you can can see a couple shots of the ROW. You can also go to the Newby town page to access a photo of the ROW looking towards Jones'.

http://www.thepde.info/Images/Photos/JonesROW.htm