Railroad Forums 

• Benning Layoffs / Losing coal traffic

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1035175  by ConrailMcf

I have heard through a friend that CSX laid off 9 employees at Benning DC due to the 2 Power plants in Southern MD switching to natural gas, or at least primarily. There seems to be a small amount of coal heading that way now but Benning yard is nearly dead , seems like it is being kept allive merely by scrap metal for the nearby scrap yard and limestone loads for the plants, as well as a few random cars for the few other customers. Does anyone have any further information on this? Without the coal traffic, DC's only freight yard is practically just a siding.
 #1036454  by Aa3rt

Well, no one else has addressed your query thus far so I'll take a crack at it. A member of the "Pope's Creek Railfans", (An informal group of railfans here in southern Maryland and surrounding environs) who is also a CSX employee, sent out an email to the group a couple of weeks ago stating that rail movements to the 2 power plants on the Pope's Creek subdivision (Chalk Point in Prince George's County and Morgantown in Charles County) would be severly curtailed for the next 3+ months. This is primarily due to the mild winter that this region experienced resulting in a surplus of coal at both power plants.

A switch to natural gas is news to me. I checked the Genon (Current operator of the plants) website and there was no mention of this in the most recent news release. I've seen nothing in the local news either. That's not to say it's not a possibility but if a move is afoot to convert to natural gas it's a pretty well kept secret thus far. Genon news release: http://www.genon.com/news.aspx

Genon, formerly Mirant, recently (Within the last 5-7 years.) made a huge investment in both plants by installing scrubbers to reduce the emissions coming from the smokestacks at the plants. This has increased the variety of freight traffic on the line. For years trains south of Rosewick Road in La Plata, where there is a large stone facility, consisted of coal loads southbound and empties returning north. Since the implementation of the scrubbers we now also see limestone hoppers, limestone being used in the scrubbers, and gypsum gondolas, gypsum being a product of the scrubbing process. I can't imagine that after this substantial investment that a conversion to natural gas would be made so soon unless the company stands to reap a huge tax writeoff.

I am able to view passing trains through La Plata from my house so this topic is of great interest to me-should I hear or read anything more regarding the natural gas issue I'll be sure to post it here.

EDIT:Just by coincidence I did manage to find this article in Wednesday's (April 11, 2012) issue of the Maryland Independent regarding the construction of a natural gas power plant in Waldorf, MD, another town on the Pope's Creek sub. Despite the recession and housing slump in other parts of the state, Waldorf continues to grow by leaps and bounds and is rapidly placing a burden on the existing power grid. Article here: http://www.somdnews.com/article/2012041 ... rnMaryland
 #1037497  by RockGp40

I follow several yahoo and facebook groups and have heard nothing to this effect. I would be highly skeptical of both power plants converting, especially with the economy right now.

As far as the plant in Charles County, they recently (within the past 5-7 years) upgraded their pier to accomodate barged loads in too with an off-loading machine type excavator and conveyor system.
 #1037518  by Aa3rt

RockGp40 wrote:As far as the plant in Charles County, they recently (within the past 5-7 years) upgraded their pier to accomodate barged loads in too with an off-loading machine type excavator and conveyor system.
RockGp40-We had an extensive discussion about this a few years ago in this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 22&t=33343

Without trying to get into too much detail-both power plants were originally built by PEPCO (Potomac Electric Power COmpany) in the late 1960's. At that time the plants were to operate primarily with fuel oil. Then came the "Arab Oil Embargo" of 1973 (Those of us who lived through that time recall that this is what was the impetus for the nationwide 55 mile an hour speed limit.) and coal became the primary fuel for the plants.

The power plants have since gone through a couple of owners, first PEPCO, then Mirant and now Genon. When Mirant first proposed building the pier it was supposedly to bring low sulfur coal from South American sources. To the best of my knowledge, only a few barges of coal were ever brought in. (I live approximately 15 miles north of the Morgantown plant.)

In fact, I heard of one shipment of coal which was brought in by ship but the ship's draft was too deep to be able to pull up to the pier. Coal had to be transloaded from the ship to barges while the ship was anchored in the Potomac. Obviously this wouldn't be very cost effective. (I should also mention that I heard this second hand and can't substantiate the truth to this.)

Now the "coal pier" and associated conveyors are being used to load barges with gypsum, mentioned in my previous post, which is then taken to someplace in New York State where gypsum wallboard is produced. I did have an opportunity to observe this when I was briefly employed at the power plant last (2011) summer.

The link I provided to a previous thread here at Railroad.Net should provide much more background information.
 #1042777  by gpp111

The Morgantown power plant can receive coal by barge. there is a tug at the power plant right now, so perhaps there is a coal barge as well. Marinetraffic.com

Having two options to receive coal broke the railroad monopoly. This plant can also burn oil and gas, but coal is the primary fuel used.
 #1043429  by Aa3rt

gpp111 wrote:The Morgantown power plant can receive coal by barge. there is a tug at the power plant right now, so perhaps there is a coal barge as well. Marinetraffic.com
I had occasion to talk to my neighbor this afternoon. He's a mechanical engineer at the Morgantown plant. Two items of interest:

1. The tug and barge were hauling out a load of gypsum. I'd seen an unusually long train of empty gypsum gons headed north about a week ago.

2. I mentioned the coal question and he informed me that the contract for bringing in low-sulfur coal from South America had expired over a year ago and hadn't been renewed.