Railroad Forums 

• Canton Railroad

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1014371  by RS115

Just came across this railroad via a random video on YouTube. There's one very old thread on here but not much information there so I thought I would start anew. Does anyone know about current operations on the line? I spend some weekends in Maryland in the Timonium area, which isn't far. Is there liable to be anything to see here on a weekend or are they strictly a M-F operation?

Thanks
Andy
 #1022470  by gprimr1

I've lived in Baltimore for like 6 years and I've only seen them active once on a Monday morning.
 #1022598  by amtrakhogger

They run a transfer into NS Bayview yard about once week.
 #1022958  by PKelly

Latest (and final) HQ is at old CSX Penn Mary yard at the confluence of Holibird and Ponca St. Not a lot of info on ops despite living in nearby Dundalk most of my life.
If you swing by be sure to grab a samwich and a beer at nearby Poncabird Pub.
I miss the rail hustle n bustle before they closed the Broening Highway GM plant.
 #1025211  by RailVet

At an upcoming meeting of the Chesapeake Railway Association (CRA), Ray Soderberg, former Canton Railroad employee and current Walkersville Southern Railroad volunteer, will present a 45-minute PowerPoint show covering the Canton Railroad's current operations and customers as of late 2011. This is not a review of the company's history, but rather a detailed set of slides covering all track and customers, including commodities carried and interchange operations with NS and CSX. Ray will use satellite photos and maps to clearly explain the operation and show where everything is located. Also included are approximately 20 trackside and cab photos, including a derailment in which Ray was involved. The meeting will take place at 8 p.m. on Thursday, May 3, 2012 at the Bauer Drive Community Center, 14625 Bauer Drive, Rockville, Maryland. Y'all come!
 #1403184  by Nhrp5

Canton Railroad still runs. They just got some new locomotives in with new paint jobs. CSX owns the yard right there but Canton controls it, I used to work for CSX. Alot was lossed when the closed GM. There is a book, might be out of print on the history of The Canton Railroad. They operate through out the area and have tracks running all the way to NS yard out by Bayview. The original paint scheme of The MD Flag was due to, at the time The State of MD owning majority stock.