Railroad Forums 

• Car Float Down for Repairs

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#882775  by piker

Just happened upon http://www.varail.com/baycoast.htm and they talk about having a second smaller barge, first I'd heard of that. They also talk about "The BCRR by-passes the congested Northeast Corridor and its restricted clearances, with the unique capability to handle high-roof 60 ft. boxcars, tri-level enclosed auto racks, and over dimension shipments." Wow didn't look like there were auto racks in Pokomoke City in November when I was there last. Also "BCRR's mainline is mostly 130 lb. rail" didn't see that either but its good to see they're thinking about new business. Also the precast place in Cape Charles was going great guns this summer and the yard was full of loaded 12 axle flats, all that must have gone north.
 #883692  by VaCentralRwy

The Eastern Shore did handle some of the Ford traffic going north from the Norfolk plant years ago but since the plant's now closed, it's unlikely anything auto traffic is going to be routed that way. An issue of The Short Line on the ESHR in the early '80s had a photos of the line switching a large cut of racks in Cape Charles. Remember, able to handle and actually having are two different things.
Plasser American had (has?) a plant in Chesapeake that has occasionally seen track machinery for Amtrak headed north. I recall when I lived down there in the mid-90s, seeing a ballast regulator headed north; not a whole lot of other options to send it north on its own power that wouldn't tie up mainline operations.

John
 #1260270  by riffian

I called Bay Coast Railroad today in an effort to learn when the tug/barge would next run. I talked to Larry Lamont, vice president of operation, who told me that they haven't run the barge in over a year and have no plans to do so in the future. He said all their traffic is coming in to Pocomoke City and they are operating every other day. He did not say why traffic is no longer routed via the barge operation.
 #1260681  by RockGp40

Yep, I have heard that too. I doubt they have that much traffic to run every other day south of Pocomoke City. The propane might be the only reason until the weather decides to stay warm. As for the barge, the Bay Coast is surrounded by NS. Its easier for NS to route the traffic to Enola and run it south on the 12G. The rail traffic on the Norfolk side gets interchanged on that side by NS. I am truly surprised they repaired the barge. When Conrail split in 1999, the barge's days were seemingly numbered.
 #1275341  by The EGE

Since this seems to be the current topic on the Bay Coast, I have a few questions. It looks like I'll be in Chincoteague for the summer, and I'd like to get some photographs while I'm here. How often are there moves on the line; are they regularly scheduled, or sporatic?
 #1276080  by Sand Box John

"The EGE"
Since this seems to be the current topic on the Bay Coast, I have a few questions. It looks like I'll be in Chincoteague for the summer, and I'd like to get some photographs while I'm here. How often are there moves on the line; are they regularly scheduled, or sporatic?

The Norfolk Southern turn from Harrington to Pokomoke City has been running weekdays in the morning in resent weeks. I have never seen cars in the Pokomoke City yard so I would hazard a guess the Bay Coast collects and drops off their loads at the same time Norfolk Southern is making their turn there.
 #1276761  by riffian

Not sure I can add much to this discussion, but I will submit my observations from an April 2014 visit to the line. Bay Coast is reportedly running on the Delmarva side three days a week and on the Little Creek side the other three. Inbound propane loads seems to be the biggest commodity handled by the Bay Coast, but unfortunately both of the propane transloading facilities are on the extreme north end of the line; one (the largest) at Oak Hall, VA and the other at New Church, VA. These two towns (places more like it) are just across the line from Maryland a few miles south of Pocomoke City.

The train did run one day while I was there, but it only ran from Pocomoke to the fertilizer plant north of Bloxom and tied up there. Obviously the next time a train ran, it was from this point. Not sure which way, but as there were no cars, other than the fertilizer load spotted at the plant, I assume they went back north to Pocomoke. When I came north a couple of days later there were 9 cars at Pocomoke, seven propane loads and two covered hoppers, waiting for the Bay Coast.

Both GP10's, 2000 and 2001 are now derelict at Cape Charles. The 2000 has been in that condition, missing the front truck, for at least 5 years. Both MSR1's are gone from the scene, reportedly scrapped in placed. The GP38 2014 was the power on the train when I saw it in April. The 2000 and 2001 are in sharp paint, one Eastern Shore the other Bay Coast, while the 2014 is in ratty Eastern Shore paint, but it runs! I am assuming the only other unit, GP15 #400 is at Little Creek. With the suspension of barge service I'm not sure why there is a need for a unit and three day a week service on the Norfolk side. I've been down there a couple of times and never noticed any potential shippers there, other than the barge, but there must be something. Anyone know?

Bay Shore Concrete at Cape Charles is very active and takes inbound loads of cement in 70 ton hoppers, easily identifiable. Most of the product goes out by truck, however and some of the cement comes in that way too. I'm guessing it gets switched no more that once a week, or so.

One last thing when visiting Cape Charles....be sure to stop at the museum (if open) as you enter town. It is very interesting and has a great deal of information about both rail and barge service from Cape Charles.