Railroad Forums 

• Columbia Branch being used to store boxcars

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1403186  by Nhrp5

I noticed it has been at least 5 years since the last post on this question. But I noticed some prople asking about this line and Marc running to Columbia. I have recently heard that Marc is thinking about running to Columbia using this line. And this line if you go into the warehouse area off of Snowden in Columbia, can still see the old tracks along with an old South Shore Line Caboose. This line used to go to the old Westinghouse plant at 175 and Snowden. The tracks are gone but the warehouses are still used.
 #1403260  by RailVet

I looked around the branch early last month, parked my car by the bridge over Mission Road and climbed up the embankment for a look. In past years CSX seems to have kept the right-of-way clear of brush up to Oakland Mills Road, but during this visit it was clear that Mother Nature is being allowed to close in. Trees are leaning over the tracks, brush and vines are starting to cover the rails, and here and there small trees are sprouting up between the rails. I've read nothing about MARC having any intention to use the branch for commuter service but it does seem to serve CSX by being available for car storage when needed. Google Earth shows cars on the line as late as November 2011 but I know of no use of the line since then.