Railroad Forums 

• The Chesapeake RR In Clayton, DE

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#755449  by RailVet

Does anyone know where Bill's cars, the Defender and Catoctin, went after the CHRR folded? I believe they followed him to the Aberdeen, Carolina & Western in NC where he became the general manager, but I think he left there several years ago. I don't know if the cars are there or somewhere else now.
 #756190  by RailVet

A friend of mine asked the following question:

"When the Maryland Midland started running their Union Bridge-Highfield excursions 1984 or so, they had a former DT&I business  car. Was this car, dark green and numbered 100, named "Dearborn" or  "Ironton"? The evidence indicates this car, if it's the same one, went  from DT&I to West Virginia Northern, to MMID, to Chesapeake RR (Eastern Shore), to Aberdeen, Carolina & Western where it now is.  98% chance the same  one, but someone's saying it was named "Ironton" and I agree, and don't remember the "Dearborn" name it supposedly left the DT&I with.  Assuming we're  only dealing with one car, it's a former PRR Z62 business car for superintendents, and was once assigned to and named Williamsport (PA), not to  be confused with the ex-Ohio Ry. Museum shell/wreck/skeleton now reportedly at  Dennison, OH. A couple other ex-MMID cars are at AC&W, including the  PRR twin diner, Pullman Defender, and others.  Billy Bartosh's fleet."

I don't recall the "Dearborn" or "Ironton" on the CHRR, only the "Defender" and the "Catoctin." Does anyone have the answer to my friend's question?
 #777461  by RockGp40

I heard through the grapevine that the old PRR (Ex-Cheaspeake RR) bridge over Route 404 near Quuen Anne will be demolished tonight for the 404 widening project. Sorry for the late notice! :(
 #777655  by Sand Box John

"RockGp40"
I heard through the grapevine that the old PRR (Ex-Cheaspeake RR) bridge over Route 404 near Quuen Anne will be demolished tonight for the 404 widening project. Sorry for the late notice!

It did in fact happen

A Temporary VMS signs was put on MD US-50 just west of MD-404 intersection the middle of last week announcing the closing of MD-404 on Monday 03 01 from 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM. Temporary VMS signs were also put up along MD-404 on either side of Queen Anne.

The VMS sign on MD US-50 eastbound west of Scottown Lane this evening when I passed was displaying:

MD 404 CLOSED AT
MD 309 TO ALT 404
MARCH 1ST 7PM TO 5AM

The VMS sign on MD US-50 westbound east of Skipton Creek was displaying the same this afternoon.

MD-404 truck route detour signs were posted along US-50 and MD-328 when I came east this evening around 9:30 PM.

Will pass through Queen Anne tomorrow and get some pictures.
 #781575  by Sand Box John

Bridge gone.

Don't know when they removed the girders, must have been over the weekend as they were still there last Thursday night. They didn't work Friday night. Couldn't get close enough Tuesday night but I could hear the jackhammers working.
 #781660  by RockGp40

I was in Federalsburg Monday working that line. I came home towards Centreville about 6:30 or so and the girders were still up, but a trailer mounted worklight was on the east side lighting them up. So my guess would be Monday or Tuesday night. What shame, seems like a lot of potential on that old line, especially with the grain elevators (Ridgely specifically).
 #782394  by Sand Box John

"Aardvark"
Thanks for the pics John.

Your welcome.

FYI, Norfolk Southern is rehabilitating the Delmarva Secondary from Harrington DE to Pokomoke City MD. Will post pictures and an essay under a new subject header.
 #784942  by Shabob

All... I'm brand new here and hoping to listen and learn. I work w/ Maryland State Highway Administration. Saw comments on the 404 RR bridge and thought you might enjoy a few pix from the overnight demo.
Attachments:
MD 404 railroad bridge demo
MD 404 railroad bridge demo
404 demo 7.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 14451 times
 #784944  by Shabob

Pix of the south end pier (along eastbound 404) with work lighting In the background, cutting steel from the south pier and crane picking a steel cross piece from the north side pier.
Attachments:
MD 404 railroad bridge demo - crane picking steel from north pier
MD 404 railroad bridge demo - crane picking steel from north pier
404 demo 56.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 14444 times
MD 404 railroad bridge demo - cutting steel from south pier
MD 404 railroad bridge demo - cutting steel from south pier
404 demo 50.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 14444 times
MD 404 railroad bridge demo - south pier aglow from work lighting
MD 404 railroad bridge demo - south pier aglow from work lighting
404 demo 15.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 14445 times
 #785213  by Sand Box John

"Shabob"
All... I'm brand new here and hoping to listen and learn. I work w/ Maryland State Highway Administration. Saw comments on the 404 RR bridge and thought you might enjoy a few pix from the overnight demo.

Thanks.

Wish you would have discovered earlier. I would have loved to have made arrangement to photograph the removal of the main span girders.
 #786105  by Shabob

I think one of our engineers has pix of the main span girder removals. Let me know if those would be of interest. There were several major crane picks ranging from 13 to 28 tons each. The rails were actually salvaged intact.
 #786125  by Sand Box John

"Shabob"
I think one of our engineers has pix of the main span girder removals. Let me know if those would be of interest. There were several major crane picks ranging from 13 to 28 tons each. The rails were actually salvaged intact.

Post them if you can. I Think all here would like to see.