Railroad Forums 

• DCL's Lewes Swing-bridge

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1432788  by Teutobergerwald

Anybody know the latest on the DelDoT's plans for the repair of the swing-bridge over the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal ???
 #1438037  by Teutobergerwald

Sorry to see that go. You'd think the DelDoT would want to keep as many trucks as possible off Rte. 9, especially during the summer. Too bad SPI didn't offer to split the cost. Also, it seems like the state is going to spend more money on the trail than the cost of the bridge. I always thought Delaware was smarter than other states, but I guess not.
 #1438087  by riffian

That was a non-starter from the jump. Its only one truck a day which isn't going to be noticed by anyone. That bridge was a cool little anachronism, but one which nobody is going to spend three million to repair. DelDot is perpetually short of funding with dozens of critical infrastructure projects unfunded. Fixing this little bridge for one infrequent customer would be a ridiculous waste of resources.
 #1446382  by RailVet

The original plan was to move the cars to the bridge via hi-rail and winch them across to get them to a locomotive on active track, but that plan has been dropped. Instead, they'll be trucked out at some point.
 #1446422  by Teutobergerwald

I hope someone gets pics of the operation when it finally happens and shares them on here to close out this unique facet of U.S. railroading.
 #1446431  by gpp111

I suppose we are lucky that such an operation existed for as long as it did. Hopefully they leave the bridge in place and don't remove it. It is not a barrier to navigation.
 #1451349  by motor1

http://www.capegazette.com/article/futu ... fs&slide=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair use quote:

By Nick Roth
November 21, 2017

When three railroad tanker cars are hauled out of Lewes in the coming weeks, it will mark the end of an era. After more than 100 years, the railroad will be no more.

Preparations are already underway to remove the rail line from Savannah Road west to Fisher Road in Cool Spring, but the future of the lines within the city of Lewes is still up for debate.

Lewes Mayor and City Council held a workshop Nov. 14 to discuss the rail line, and Bob Perrine, DelDOT’s railroad program manager, presented city officials with options.

The city could preserve a small section of the railroad for its historic and cultural value or it could choose to have the entire line removed.
 #1453520  by motor1

They came for the last three cars this morning.

http://www.capegazette.com/article/last ... wes/147993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A drone video captured the polished power, caboose, and tank cars as they rolled into the distance (and history). Thanks to the drone operator for this wonderful yet sad footage. Thank you, railroading, for being a part of Lewes. That said, I regret having never witnessed in person a train move in the Lewes/Rehoboth (or OCMD) area.

motor1
 #1453645  by BAR

Maybe I missed it but how did they get the tank cars across the canal? I thought that the swing bridge could not be used.
 #1453649  by RailVet

A few days prior to the Toys for Tots train on Saturday, Nov 4, the cars were removed from SPI Pharma, loaded onto large trucks, transported to a point just south of the canal, and put back on the tracks. This took several days. They then had to be checked to ensure they'd been put back together correctly (they'd been off their trucks, etc.) and, once that was done, it was okay to move them. That move came on Friday morning.
 #1453707  by BAR

Railvet,

Thanks for the information on the move. Very interesting.

BAR
 #1462663  by superman

http://www.capegazette.com/article/lewe ... cks/149093
Lewes seeks group to preserve railroad tracks
If no one steps up within a year, tracks will be removed

When Lewes Mayor and City Council voted to retain a small section of railroad tracks between the Lewes Public Library and the Margaret H. Rollins Community Center, it assumed groups would be knocking at the door to preserve the tracks and tell the 148-year history of the railroad in Lewes.

But when no one stepped up, council started wondering if preserving the tracks was a good idea. With no interest in the city maintaining the tracks, council voted unanimously to establish a one-year deadline for groups to come forward.

“I think it will take time for a group to germinate and begin to get some traction,” said Mayor Ted Becker.

Becker was assured by Department of Transportation officials that the state will remove the tracks at no cost to the city if council decides it no longer wants to keep and maintain the tracks.
More at the link.