Railroad Forums 

• The Catonsville Shortline

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1403185  by Nhrp5

I am looking for any information on The Catonsville Shortline that ran from the Calvert Street Station in Baltimore MD to Catonsville MD. I know where the teacks ran. I have a few pictures from a nice gentlemen that had a few pictures. I know the Calvert Street Station is now A Merritt Athletic Club. I know they supplied the hospital power plant. But there were sidings that supplied the local businesses and a station, on the Northeast Corridor when the PA RR owned the right away, and the branch line headed through the cemetary. Does anyone have any information on who they delivered to, what was delivered. The PA RR Historical Society could only confirm that locomotive 8700 did belong to the PA RR. They state that the PA RR owned or leased alot of short lines that they did not keep accurate records. So if any one has any information on this line I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.
 #1422932  by wborys

Sorry, not a lot of information. However, I was enrolled in St Charles Seminary 1967-69,
and watched the coal train roll through to Spring Grove on Saturday mornings.
(The college is long gone, having been transformed into the adult community CharlesTown)

There is a YouTube video of walking the abandoned tracks in recent times, which may
interest you. Just search on 'Catonsville short line'....
 #1423017  by mmi16

Went to Catonsville Junior High School on Bloomsbury Ave. (it was previously the High School) in the late 50's. There was a company that took rail car delivery behind the school. From memory I believe they were box cars - but memory can be hazy approaching 60 years ago. I also remember the railroad crossed the Beltway on a bridge (since removed) several hundred yards South of the Frederick Road exit on the Beltway.